Author Topic: Bloodhound testing  (Read 115610 times)

Offline TD

Re: Bloodhound testing
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »
Green was (and still is) a fighter pilot in the RAF.   There's an interesting article about him here:  https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/november-2007/70/lunch-andy-green.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2019, 05:40:21 PM »
No longer a fighter pilot.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/andy-green-the-fastest-man-on-earth-62jpr9flhkg

But still in the RAF and flying at weekends.

Offline MX304

« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2019, 08:35:51 PM »
Bloodhound is headed home. Strapped to an open trailer, with a car cover over it, on a ship. This does not seem like a good idea.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2019, 10:50:42 PM »
The advice I got, and followed, was to wrap the vehicle up tight in plastic and put a dehumidifier in with it.  The bike went from Oregon, through the Panama Canal to the UK, and it rode on a Chinese freighter from the UK, through the Indian Ocean, then the Pacific Ocean, and back to Oregon.  No shipboard corrosion was seen after those long trips. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2019, 11:43:38 PM »
Coming out of Africa. White Elephant. Done and dusted. Biggest media hype in motor sports. Bloodhound, named after an RAF missile from the 50s. Sorry boys. Game over. Just my opinion.
 :?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2019, 05:22:25 AM »
So Bloodhound has done some high speed testing and per their own published data gone quite quickly; presumably now they need a bunch of cash to go to the next level (and a rocket motor or three). I have enjoyed the journey as an interested observer and hope they are able to progress and at least tickle the current LSR.

That they almost built a Lakester is cool too. As for that other almost a Lakester ....

I cannot find anything sensible on the Aussie Invader 5R project status - even their own website is blank under 'latest news'. Is anyone close to that project able to update?
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline TD

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »
The AI crew seem to provide most of their updates via The Book of Face.  The FB icon linking to their page is on the AI website.

They appear to have made some recent progress on the cars' propellant distribution plumbing and the 'giant syringe' propellant tanks. There is a rocket motor (or something which looks like a rocket motor) with a wound composite nozzle visible in at least one of the photos.

Addendum:  They have been pretty responsive when I have emailed them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:34:52 AM by TD »

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2019, 09:44:38 AM »
Coming out of Africa. White Elephant. Done and dusted. Biggest media hype in motor sports. Bloodhound, named after an RAF missile from the 50s. Sorry boys. Game over. Just my opinion.
 :?

Geez Mike, that's about the third negative post from you after Bloodhound's visit to Africa.  What have they done to upset you?  :-o

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »
Yesterday I gave a Powerpoint presentation to the Ancient Aviators of South Alabama. They wanted an update on Bloodhound andAI5R. Rosco was kind enough to send me photos and information on the current status of his project. For some reason the Aussies seem a little stingy in supporting Rosco. Maybe the early penal colony was populated by Scots. He has had quite a learning experience getting the rocket propulsion sorted out - but it looks quite workable now. He has a WFNA/Turpentine hypergolic oxidizer/fuel propellant combination and an elegant 7 cylinder piston-operated propellant tank. His is a blowdown system not requiring an auxiliary powerplant and pump. KISS principles rule. I don't know when they will get to test the rocket. Soon I hope. Bloodhound spilled more money than Rosco has spent.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2019, 10:11:33 PM »
MAYOMAN. Do you have a copy of it that we can watch?

Yesterday I gave a Powerpoint presentation to the Ancient Aviators of South Alabama. They wanted an update on Bloodhound andAI5R. Rosco was kind enough to send me photos and information on the current status of his project. For some reason the Aussies seem a little stingy in supporting Rosco. Maybe the early penal colony was populated by Scots. He has had quite a learning experience getting the rocket propulsion sorted out - but it looks quite workable now. He has a WFNA/Turpentine hypergolic oxidizer/fuel propellant combination and an elegant 7 cylinder piston-operated propellant tank. His is a blowdown system not requiring an auxiliary powerplant and pump. KISS principles rule. I don't know when they will get to test the rocket. Soon I hope. Bloodhound spilled more money than Rosco has spent.
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2019, 10:18:11 PM »
I have heard that 1000mph is no longer on the table. There goal now is to get enought money for the rocket and the next trip to the pan to try and break the current land speed record. I guess the car owner does not have more money then god and is feeling the pinch.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2019, 07:17:09 AM »
J79 - I actually did 2 presentations to the Ancient Aviators. First, they had asked me to tell the story of my personal involvement in the 1970 land speed record, which I did. Afterward, they asked it I could update them on the land speed records since The Blue Flame. So, there are 2 PowerPoints. I also have them in PDF for easier access. Even the PDF files are large, 7 and 17 Mb. I don't know how to share either in this forum.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MX304

« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
I have heard that 1000mph is no longer on the table. There goal now is to get enought money for the rocket and the next trip to the pan to try and break the current land speed record. I guess the car owner does not have more money then god and is feeling the pinch.

That progression has been the plan since Ian purchased it. He never was targeting 1000. He did say they might try it depending on what the data showed after they get the record, but is not really a goal.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2019, 06:29:39 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of the wheels?