Author Topic: Bloodhound testing  (Read 114281 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Bloodhound testing
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2019, 11:49:32 AM »

... it looked dangerous and he doesn't think they'll be back.

In my not-so-humble opinion there are only two reasons why Bloodhound LSR might not return to South Africa.
  • Lack of money.  Ian Warhurst has indicated that he is looking for one or more sponsors to fund the first record attempt.  If they don't materialise he may pull the plug.  Is he bluffing?

• Lack of a viable rocket.  This has long been the project's Achilles heel.  It's not clear that Nammo can (in a reasonable timeframe) provide something that Andy Green is willing to sit in front of.
Whether or not it looks dangerous now is verging on irrelevant.  One of the points of the high speed testing was to gather data to inform the engineers whether their computer modelling is accurate.  If it is not, or there is any other reason to doubt the safety of the design, the next 12 months or so will be used to redesign parts of the car to ensure that it remains adequately safe in the 600-800mph speed range.

On the faster runs Bloodhound is reportedly affected by cross winds, but not in any way that Andy found difficult to control.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:00:47 PM by TrickyDicky »

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2019, 12:16:03 PM »
McGlashan claims a 638 MPH pass in Aussie Invader III in 1996, meaning Mr. Amos' list of six over-600 vehicles should really include seven.
Mr. Amos has updated the article and responded to an email I sent on the topic.  Rosco McGlashan also responded - how cool is that?   :-)

That is cool.  Did Rosco provide any more detail on Aussie Invader III's runs. e.g. when; how fast; how was speed calculated?

Offline TD

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »
McGlashan claims a 638 MPH pass in Aussie Invader III in 1996, meaning Mr. Amos' list of six over-600 vehicles should really include seven.
Mr. Amos has updated the article and responded to an email I sent on the topic.  Rosco McGlashan also responded - how cool is that?   :-)

That is cool.  Did Rosco provide any more detail on Aussie Invader III's runs. e.g. when; how fast; how was speed calculated?

I didn't ask for more detail. The statements are on the AI website, including here:

http://aussieinvader.com/the-challenge/

where it says 'a one-way pass of 638 MPH'.  Another:

http://aussieinvader.com/the-people/rosco-mcglashan-oam-2/past-machines/

here it says 'a peak speed of 638 MPH'.   

Generally I think Rosco has run against the accepted timing norms, e.g., over a mile in two directions, using timing lights and precision clocks, but I don't have a ton of evidence of this. Mostly the story about running over 'timing equipment' in AI 2 and terminally damaging the car (which is repeated in John Ackroyd's Jet Blast and the Hand of Fate, btw). :?  But also explanations of why he did not set a record, specifically by failing to make a return pass over a measured mile within an hour.

Apropos other comments, I think both the BBC article author and McGlashan were claiming nothing more than 'at some point the vehicle was moving at over 600 MPH'.  These are not records nor claims of same, or at least I didn't interpret them that way.   

I'm not a sanctioning body nor a timing authority (though in a former life I spent a lot of time thinking about telecom network timing and time distribution).  While I might not personally believe a record speed claim made solely against GPS measurements, I think quality GPS-based measurement is sufficiently accurate to closely approximate how fast something is moving.  So when the Bloodhound crew claim that that vehicle was moving at 628 MPH at some point during a run, and that value was derived from a GPS-based measurement, I'm inclined to believe it.  Again,  I don't see that as a record claim in any form.

One could always ask Rosco how they measured AI 3 speed, there's a 'Contact Us' link here:  http://aussieinvader.com/contact-us/.  Ditto for Bloodhound.

Tim

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:50:03 PM by TD »

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2019, 02:11:25 PM »
FLYING START - OF COURSE!
I didn't check my nomenclature.
I was looking at all the record distances and had standing start on my mind I guess.
Thank you.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
A guy I know saw the vehicle at the Pan.
In his opinion it looked dangerous and he doesn't think they'll be back...
Well that's a 'useful' comment. :?
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2019, 05:33:17 PM »
...Apropos other comments, I think both the BBC article author and McGlashan were claiming nothing more than 'at some point the vehicle was moving at over 600 MPH'.  These are not records nor claims of same, or at least I didn't interpret them that way.   

I'm not a sanctioning body nor a timing authority (though in a former life I spent a lot of time thinking about telecom network timing and time distribution).  While I might not personally believe a record speed claim made solely against GPS measurements, I think quality GPS-based measurement is sufficiently accurate to closely approximate how fast something is moving.  So when the Bloodhound crew claim that that vehicle was moving at 628 MPH at some point during a run, and that value was derived from a GPS-based measurement, I'm inclined to believe it.  Again,  I don't see that as a record claim in any form...
Well said Tim.
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2019, 07:46:29 AM »
The point is that comparing Bloodhound's alleged peak speed to 4 absolute world land speed record holders is not just misleading, but minimizes their record achievements. It is the same thing as a 100 meter sprinter claiming he is faster than a 1,000 meter middle distance runner. The media and the public don't understand these issues. It is irresponsible for a legitimate record contender to promote a dubious achievement as fact.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MX304

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2019, 11:11:56 PM »
I think they will go back and make a run at the record. Their new plan to use a Peroxide motor instead of the hybrid will bring them into more of a "known" territory with the rocket. The 1000 mph plan seems to be off the table completely. It will be interesting to see what sort of changes they decide to make to improve the handling though. Andy does seem to be a bit rattled by it.

Offline maj

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2019, 03:17:40 PM »
Found it interesting last nite when they released a graph of the speed & G force over time
my rough assessment of the info would expect the g force would be pretty much 0 at somewhere around 700 mph
they were pretty deep into the HP V drag on the last run 

Offline Speed Limit 1000

John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline MX304

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2019, 02:38:18 PM »
Found it interesting last nite when they released a graph of the speed & G force over time
my rough assessment of the info would expect the g force would be pretty much 0 at somewhere around 700 mph
they were pretty deep into the HP V drag on the last run

I had the same thought. It wouldn't go much faster, maybe 650, on just the jet. That lines up with some of their previous projections though.

Offline TD

« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »
Interesting article.  The graph here https://i2.wp.com/i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/stroked71/fosset4_zps68cdee8a.jpg is putatively from Breedlove's 1996 'u-turn' run.  I think the annotations are by John Ackroyd, but I'm not sure.  Zero to 600+ in approximately 50 seconds in a lighter, but less powerful, vehicle using less than full throttle.

Offline maj

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2019, 02:10:39 PM »
TD can you attach that to the reply , Photobucket have hazed it out when you view through the link 

Offline TD

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2019, 03:10:33 PM »
Let's see if this works.  The image is blurry to begin with.  I've tried to reach John Ackroyd to see if he has a better copy but I'm not hopeful he'll get the message or respond.

Offline 7707

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2019, 01:52:52 AM »
Look guys....don?t get to excited on this. There is a long way to go. The car is on its way back to the UK now. The big question is....well....look at in the in car video. 
Current class record holder (A/BFRMR) at 258.679mph and i?m Just trying to go fast!

Look for our Facebook page ...  Geoff Stilwell