Author Topic: Bloodhound latest news  (Read 48344 times)

Offline ack

Re: Bloodhound latest news
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2021, 07:33:09 PM »
that is quite a list of past sponsors.
I honestly can't see the value in having my name on a race car that never moves, maybe these guys didn't either.

Amazing.... Inspiring... Educational.   
All great fundraising buzzwords , however, in the end, nothing was accomplished but endlessly burning thru money.

It's time to just stop the project and let this boondoggle die.
obviously the cash cow has been milked dry.

To me it looks like a cobbled up POC thrown together out of spare aerospace parts. But then they only had $68M (US) and maybe 20 or so full-time engineers. At lease Thrust 2 and Thrust SSC had some style. As I have posted before it is a shame that so much money was sucked up by this project from companies that will never put another dime in a land speed effort. My money is on Rosco. His car built with a tiny fraction of the money frittered away on this project.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2021, 10:10:11 PM »
Only 69M, maybe MAYOMAN would get involved if we could get him that amount of cash cromag
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2021, 08:12:55 AM »
Well, this attempt is now so long active that the most people forgot what caused this delay.....

There was a self announced super rocket expert who came into this project at the very beginning....

and his concept failed complete...totally crashed would be the better words....

what follows was more self announced experts....and they all failed, too.....

for each experts the racer has to be redesigned completely....and modified and rebuild.....

this cost lots of time......and more....it cost lots of money from sponsors.....

so, one of the main reason for that delay was the overpowered ego of some people who meant only they know right.....

a typical today cause.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Online TD

« Reply #93 on: February 02, 2021, 10:14:07 AM »
I recall the original plan for the rocket oxidizer pump drive was a 3.5L Cosworth F1 motor.

Then Jaguar came on board as a sponsor and the plan was changed to use a Jaguar motor, with some form of forced induction. 

Last I knew they were planning to use an electric drive.

Whatever they chose, it was going to have to fit in the space defined by the existing chassis and cockpit monocoque.

Disclaimer:  I did not check any of this on the B SSC web site.

Tim

Offline desotoman

« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2021, 12:20:49 PM »
Well, this attempt is now so long active that the most people forgot what caused this delay.....

There was a self announced super rocket expert who came into this project at the very beginning....

and his concept failed complete...totally crashed would be the better words....

what follows was more self announced experts....and they all failed, too.....

for each experts the racer has to be redesigned completely....and modified and rebuild.....

this cost lots of time......and more....it cost lots of money from sponsors.....

so, one of the main reason for that delay was the overpowered ego of some people who meant only they know right.....

a typical today cause.....

Wow, that sounds like what I hear on the TV News channels here every night.  :naughty

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2021, 12:50:58 PM »
Tom G.

"...a typical today cause....."

I wouldn't say that the Bloodhound project stands alone...... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2021, 03:02:38 PM »
GO ROSCO!!!!
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2021, 05:52:21 PM »
I recall the original plan for the rocket oxidizer pump drive was a 3.5L Cosworth F1 motor.

Then Jaguar came on board as a sponsor and the plan was changed to use a Jaguar motor, with some form of forced induction. 

Last I knew they were planning to use an electric drive.
Yep you're right - problem with option 1 was Cosworth sadly withdrew from F1 (after very successful testing using their stunning engine) and so understandably lost their enthusiasm for promoting a defunct engine.

Option 2 - Jaguar engine was lovely (it's supercharged by the way) and plenty powerful enough with a custom designed (by bloodhound engineers) and remarkably efficient pump attached but...

Option 3 - with battery/electric motors technology being improved all the time (and of course they are 'green') it was felt this was a simpler solution for the future and making use of the latest tech.

The Bloodhound project has been running in anger for well over 10 years and it has just 2 main goals:
  • to promote engineering to young people
  • to break the landspeed record
In THAT order of importance.

Being a Bloodhound Ambassador I think I can say goal #1 has been smashed...but #2...well they are close but may be sadly it will finish now  :oops:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 05:54:15 PM by martine »
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline tallguy

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2021, 01:38:28 AM »
I'd be willing to donate to help the Bloodhound project eventually succeed (at least in breaking the existing LSR).  Are they still accepting donations from poor individuals like me? 

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2021, 06:08:26 PM »
I'd be willing to donate to help the Bloodhound project eventually succeed (at least in breaking the existing LSR).  Are they still accepting donations from poor individuals like me?
Nice thought but no I don't think they are...unless you have ?8m?
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador