Author Topic: Other International Sites  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Bratfink

Other International Sites
« on: October 20, 2019, 08:02:38 PM »
With Bonneville increasingly at risk I was doing some reading on other similar salt pans around the world.

I know there have been events done in Bolivia, and the DLRA have their event in SA. But have we as a community looked at every location on which we could race?

I ask because I came across this article on the Rann of Kutch in India: https://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-gujarat-open-to-idea-of-high-speed-racing-in-rann-of-kutch-2159844

It's a few years old, but it actually looks like the Gujurat govt is looking to support racing activities there. Did anyone from our community get in touch with them? Mr Cook et al?

Food for though.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: Other International Sites
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »
Speaking of food, might be tough getting a cheeseburger there.

John

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 09:36:56 PM »
I have only been to Calcutta. So I don't know anything about this place, But it was not my favorite place to be. Or nearby places.

Offline TD

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 09:42:14 PM »
The original bloodhoundssc.com site had a lengthy description of the process the team used to identify and evaluate sites suitable for running a vehicle with the target speed, acceleration, and deceleration profiles they were targeting.  At the time I thought it was a really interesting read.  Unfortunately it isn't obviously available under the new bloodhoundlsr.com web site, but it might be available out there on the Intertubes.

I don't recall whether they mentioned or even looked at the Rann of Kutch, but if they did, they thought Hakskeenpan in the Northern Cape area of SA was a better choice, at least for their purposes.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 01:45:19 AM »
Ruedi Steck has looked at Chott el Djerid in Tunisia (also spelt Sciott Gerid or Shott el Jerid)?   :evil: muutt
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:55:31 AM by TrickyDicky »

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 04:59:33 AM »
I organised a single vehicle speed record attempt on the Chott in Tunisia in May 2005 for Primetime Land Speed Engineering, who took their electric streamliner e=motion on a trailer all the way from the UK. We broke a ten year drought in the area (for which we received thanks at an Embassy reception in the Capitol) and the track just broke up. Tozeur is the nearest 'City' and had a great hotel complex.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 05:08:17 AM »
The report on Andy Green's world site inspection in 2008 was written up by the 1K Club in their newsletter. The project was looking for an alkali mud playa, but Andy did go to many salt flats. No mention of India or North Africa. He and the team researched 30 sites and 8 were in the USA. The David Tremayne book on Bloodhound "The Science behind the Speed" contains a chapter which names some of the locations visited. Remember that Bloodhound is 'free rolling' vehicle on metal wheels, not a 'Bonneville' wheel driven entrant.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:13:54 AM by Malcolm UK »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
I have heard many times that there is a much better salt flat on the other side of the Silver Mountains. But no good way to get there. Although Western Pacific laid railroad tracks there. Never seen it myself, But if so it seems easier to pioneer a road then go to the India/ Pakistan border to run. (Hint. Bring your AK)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:05:49 PM by RichFox »

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »
And the Dry Lake Racers Australia are holding their 30th Speedweek event on Lake Gairdner in South Australia, March 2020,,

Already a proven LandSpeed venue  8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Paulin adelaide

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 07:00:50 PM »
DLRA at Lake Gairdner  will also be running FIM and FIA , They could possibly go 6 miles run up to the timers at a cost .