Author Topic: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary  (Read 32726 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Re: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »
MAYOMAN. Do you remember this rocket assisted drag car? 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 Tobacco King Rocket Car.
Youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkMccsMvlgk&fbclid=IwAR1VDQEpusWVux2ZYLOipeaSrOvJib7Pqs98dcoyMcb9_cz8ExvX85n6q9Q

Sold for $375,000 at Mecum Auction May 2008.  https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0508-65922/1964-ford-galaxie-500/?fbclid=IwAR2IdVyi-vDuR9BJ54vpQU4sFmWnlCOfBciljoqDE5NkYJjjVps9Tg3Codw
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2020, 11:23:54 PM »
Turbonique advertised in the hotrodding magazine, in the 1960s.

A Turbonique Rocket GoKart.

Here's the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbonique

During the 1960s, thrills were more important than safety.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2020, 05:06:10 PM »
My recollection is that these Turbonique products were NOT rockets, but were more akin to a turboshaft powerplant. They did not use thrust to provide performance but rather provided a torque input at the differential. The fuel was a liquid monopropellant, not requiring an oxidizer to burn/decompose producing heat.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline tortoise

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2020, 05:21:00 PM »
My recollection is that these Turbonique products were NOT rockets, but were more akin to a turboshaft powerplant.
They made rockets too.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »
I vaguely recall seeing a small rocket from Turbonique that resembled a soccer ball with a tiny nozzle. Probably what was on that go-kart in the photo. I don't know what thrust was developed. Also, I believe one of them exploded at a drag strip.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »
My recollection is that these Turbonique products were NOT rockets, but were more akin to a turboshaft powerplant. They did not use thrust to provide performance but rather provided a torque input at the differential. The fuel was a liquid monopropellant, not requiring an oxidizer to burn/decompose producing heat.

I vaguely recall seeing a small rocket from Turbonique that resembled a soccer ball with a tiny nozzle.

Yes, your recollection is right.

With inflation $200.00 1965 dollars is worth about $1,635 in 2020 dollars. I'm halfway surprised I didn't buy one

Axle with Tubonique.

Supercharger powered by Turbonique.

What would a NHRA or SCTA inspector say about one of these?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:21:32 PM by Beef Stew »
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2020, 10:52:28 PM »
Was that "Snake" (Don Prudhomme) on the left?
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2020, 08:01:14 AM »
Not the snake. He has a "Turbonique" emblem on his shirt left side. The name on the right side emblem is not clear, but not "Don" or "Prudhomme".

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2020, 07:48:47 PM »
. . . and the nickname is "The Snake", not just Snake.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2020, 10:08:25 AM »
OK back to topic....
Some years ago, at one of the early Cook Events I think, I spent some time under a viewing tent that was erected across from the middle of the mile.  I think it was the year there were multiple 400+ cars and good salt.  One of the guys was building a tall scaffolding to shoot pictures... the rest of us were just sitting in the shade bullshitting...
A couple drove up, asked if they could join us... nicest folks you could imagine... we were all talking about our cars, all cars, fast cars... and all the sudden it occurred to me this guy was talking about a fast car... then his wife mentioned "the" record... I had not met Dick Keller before... but he is an impressive guy... and a regular guy.
Wow... 50 years... last American car to hold the record...
Congrats to Dick and team...
As it happens Linda and I will be in Germany in October... a minor manipulation on my part  :evil: ... and going to the Sinsheim Museum on October 23rd...  :-o
So other than Pork Pie (I'm betting he will be there) anyone else going?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2020, 11:31:26 AM »
Hey Stainless. I was there.  :cheers: I remember the scaffold and Dick and his wife. I also remember the helicopter that would go up whenever a car ran so you couldn't hear the sounds of the car.
Wayno

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
Stainless;

Enjoy your time in Germany; there is lots to see and do. I spent a couple of years there... carrying an M-14.  :-)  Get up to the Nurburgring if you can.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline TD

« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2020, 04:43:57 PM »
Re:  Sinsheim Oct 23

I'd like to go.

Talk is cheap.

We'll see.

Offline N72727

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2020, 02:59:26 AM »
There is also a Museum in Speyer, not far away from Sinsheim, with a lot of cars, airplanes...

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/en/

https://speyer.technik-museum.de/en/

In Stuttgart you can visit the Porsche and Mercedes-Benz Museums.

In Neckarsulm is the NSU Museum with many motorcycles.

Welcome to Germany.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
So now, after 50 years, and the excited staff at the Technik Museum working hard to celebrate the occasion, the China Flu may have postponed or cancelled the Anniversary Celebration.

I am still interested in going in October, but it may not be possible with various pandemic international travel restrictions. We shall see.

Maybe I can make the next one in 2070 - if I don't catch the China Flu.