Author Topic: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary  (Read 32652 times)

Offline J79

• J79 Exhaust from a F4 Phantom II
Re: The Blue Flame's 50th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 05:07:20 PM »
MAYOMAN. Would it have been easier/would you have preferred with the Blue Flame Car to get the top speed of the car without having to try to make the top speed during certain part of the course, for example, allow the driver to throttle up when he feels safe and not when the timing lights begin and end. How could that speed be measured then and today and be considered accurate?
"My, people come and go so quickly here." Dorothy, from the movie Wizard of Oz.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

From the movie Dr. Strangelove, General Jack D. Ripper:

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline ski123

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »
^^^  More questions:  would the return run have to be on the same spot as the first?  That should open a bucket of worms.  We all know the reliability and accuracy of measured speed should only get better in the future.  I personally think it's kind of cool to have two kind of records, measured mile for the purist (I would think this is the best) and a hot spot time (fastest speed at a single point).  Why not?  You can always go the NAE route and create your own timing association.  Racers know who's fastest.  Drag racing is cool and all but they only go a 1/4 mile.  The measured mile in a single spot, two runs in opposite directions within 1 hour  should always be the pinnacle.

Offline J79

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
MAYOMAN. If the Blue Flame Car was returned to the United States, where would you like to see it located? Do you have an idea of how much money it would take to purchase the car from the current museum in Germany and how much would a United States museum pay per month to have the car in their museum?

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure, and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, 1874-1922.

"Mandrake, in the name of Her Majesty and the Continental Congress come here and feed me this belt boy... Mandrake, come over here, the Red Coats are coming!"

"He said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious "automotive" bodily fluids."

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »
Regarding peak speeds in record runs, the turbojet cars as I understand it have enough fuel capacity to run several miles prior to the times measured in the mile/kilometer, usually centered in the available length of the international course for example. They usually have reached their peak speed and are no longer accelerating to any great extent in the timed distances. Rockets are much thirstier for fuel and that is also a substantial portion of the total vehicle weight. As an example, The Blue Flame's strategy was to accelerate full throttle for 20 seconds, reaching the maximum speed and burnout in the middle of the timed distances. In our case that maximum speed was 660 miles per hour indicated in the mile/kilometer timing zone, and then coasting through with the timed speeds for the mile/kilometer at 622.407/630.388 miles per hour, two way average. We were not able to return with a refreshed rocket motor in 1971, at full power, due to contractual issues with the American Gas Association.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 07:38:22 PM »
I really don't believe that the Sinsheim museum would ever contemplate selling The Blue Flame as it remains a top draw for visitors after 49 years. First over 1,000 kilometers per hour was a real milestone, sort of like a moon shot. Most of the world is metric, so it was a really big deal globally. The American Gas Association didn't want Pete and me to get the car back after its 2 year world tour. Actually, by then we would have likely not taken a chance on running it for fear of physical degradation.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 07:54:47 PM »
SKI, racers mostly know who is fastest but the public media doesn't really know and just looks for catchy headlines. Promoting peak speeds in parallel with actual record distance speeds is just confusing. The idea of setting and braking records requires the participants follow the same rules. Some of these LSR pretenders just call the FIA rules arcane or archaic so they can do whatever they wish and get the glory they crave. I could claim 700 miles per hour on my bicycle if I used the Budmobile methodology.

Offline J79

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 02:08:00 PM »
MAYOMAN. Based on the $510,000 dollar selling price of the Danny Thompson Challenger 2 Fastest Wheel Driven Land Speed Record car,  how much do you thing the Blue Flame would sell for in a similar auction?

Here is the moment the car goes on the Auction: 6:32:21 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOhkj3KEEZM

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 08:59:32 AM »
It is difficult to estimate the value of The Blue Flame in an auction. I guess it would be considered a cross between an antique and an artwork. It would need to fit into the theme of a collector's passion as well as the space available.
Just guessing, but the MT streamliner could still be raced for a new piston engine world record. In that case the $500K price could be cheaper than designing and building a new competitive LSR car.
The Blue Flame was retired permanently in 1970.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 01:11:36 AM »
MAYOMAN. Based on the $510,000 dollar selling price . . . .
Actually, $601,800 when you add the 18% seller premium.

Offline J79

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2020, 09:18:34 PM »
MAYOMAN. Have you ever been a guest speaker at the Sinsheim Museum in Germany to speak about the Blue Flame Car?

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2020, 04:36:17 AM »
I will be at the Sinsheim Museum for the 50th anniversary, October 23, 2020. Format is being discussed.

Offline J79

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 01:17:54 PM »
I will be at the Sinsheim Museum for the 50th anniversary, October 23, 2020. Format is being discussed.

Does the Museum or you have plans to videotape your presentation and then post it online for free viewing?

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »
I don't have any details yet on the 50th anniversary program. I  do have a few PowerPoint presentations that I have given in recent years, but the museum obviously has professionals on their staff who can do the digital dance much better. They have my digitized films and photos so I expect to be amazed.

Offline J79

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »
MAYOMAN. Can you make it part of your agreement with the Museum that they videotape it and provide you with a copy? That way you can post it on your Youtube channel and share the link with us? I'd like to watch it.

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2020, 08:22:09 PM »
That should be possible. It will probably consist of my copyrighted materials.