Author Topic: Bloodhound looking for the next Andy Green  (Read 505 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Bloodhound looking for the next Andy Green
« on: November 08, 2023, 08:39:07 AM »
Seems they are trying to kick start the Bloodhound project.

New driver required, need to strip down and rebuild the car, oh ... and about ?12M to get to South Africa in 2025.

Driver Replacement Requirement ? Announcement
"Race to Greatness: Bloodhound Land Speed Record Driver Search" is an exciting and captivating campaign aimed at finding a new driver for the iconic Bloodhound Land Speed Record car. This once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will attract passionate and skilled individuals who are ready to push the boundaries of speed and become part of history, as they pilot the fastest car on Earth.

As we continue to raise the required funds to set a new LSR, the appointment of a new driver will add fresh excitement to the project; it will enable people to follow the journey of a new driver and get direct feedback from someone who has never driven at LSR speeds.

Ultimately, we are looking for a driver that must bring the remaining funding required for Bloodhound to set a new LSR. So, if you think you have the right experience, skills and have what it takes to drive a car at over 800mph, whilst providing the necessary funding, then we would love to hear from you.

See https://www.bloodhoundlsr.com/.

Offline tallguy

Re: Bloodhound looking for the next Andy Green
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 11:04:22 PM »
Although I hope that Rosco breaks the existing ALSR first, I wish the Bloodhound project good luck. 

Offline rockracer

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 11:28:21 PM »
So many questions.
Is Andy too old to drive ?
Why the rebuild  ?
Really 12 million,  how much is so. africa getting  ?

I lost interest years ago when things were going soooo slow.

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 09:04:59 AM »
I'm guessing they're hoping there's a Steve Fossett out there that wants to own the ALSR, and can pay for it :)

Offline tallguy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 10:01:03 PM »
Two people came to mind.

One is Richard Branson.  If I remember correctly, he's a billionaire.

The other, Alan Eustace, a Google executive, set a new altitude record by bailing from a balloon a few years ago. 
He's wealthy, also.

I don't know that either of these guys would be very good at (or even much interested in) driving Bloodhound.  But
maybe they'd still like to help the project succeed by donating money.  I have always considered Andy Green to be the
logical choice as driver.

I have also questioned the design of the car.  Using 3 assorted engines, instead of just one rocket engine, never made a
lot of sense to me.  But I admit that Richard Noble's team did have a pretty impressive track record.  I think it would be
quite a shame if that car, after all the time, money, and effort spent to design and build it, didn't make at least a serious
attempt at going about 800 mph, which would be sufficient for a new ALSR.  At this time, going 1000 mph -- or even
seriously considering it -- seems a bit premature, and too "far out there" to me.  People are supposed to survive this
kind of racing, aren't they?