Author Topic: What would it take to succeed with a new team pursuing the ALSR?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline slowalex

• New folks
Re: What would it take to succeed with a new team pursuing the ALSR?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2023, 04:44:40 AM »
They seem to have weather issues there.

They had major problems with rain at Lake Gairdner affecting the 2022 speed week, with 2022 being cancelled and wet conditions creating problems in 2023, although most people got to race that week.

No one can guarantee the weather, but from my understanding, the El Nino Southern Oscillation has now entered an El Nino phase, and El Nino is expected to bring drier weather for South Australia, so we might have better conditions coming up for racing at Lake Gairdner.

I'm not sure if bush fires could be a hazard during an El Nino year, but as someone already mentioned, it's an outdoor venue.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/updates/articles/a008-el-nino-and-australia.shtml
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 04:46:22 AM by slowalex »

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »
Gazza, pneumatic tires were not a problem regarding faster speeds with The Blue Flame. The tires and wheels were tested at Goodyear over 850mph. They limited us to 700mph in 1970 because of our inexperience. Their speed restriction would have been removed in 1971. Actually, rubber tread pneumatic tires are ideal for running on the hard salt surface. Solid metal wheels have a very low coefficient of friction at Bonneville. Yaw control is impossible at Bonneville with those wheels. They only work on the dry lakes because they dig a furrow to steer.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline Gazza

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2023, 11:16:49 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Mayoman. I missed that part in your previous post where you stated that the wheels had been tested to 850 mph.