Author Topic: VP M5 Methanol  (Read 2636 times)

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
VP M5 Methanol
« on: October 10, 2019, 09:44:36 PM »
I am trying to get user information on this fuel,, anyone on here that has used/ had experience with it ?, i would be interested to hear your thought about it ??
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: VP M5 Methanol
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »
I am with stay'tee, I would like to know about the VPM5 methanol. Reading the info from VP it looks like it could be an improvement over standard methanol but is it worth the extra $3/gal? We plan to do another dyno test after Engine Dynamics gives our motor a look through so maybe I will buy some and do a back to back test. Won't happen for a few months.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »
I didn't look it up but IIRC they make 2 alcohols. One is pure the other has "addatives" and is formulated to primarily abate the corrosive effects of pure methanol. Flushing with gas primarily stops the corrosion problem. If you want  an "improvement" why not put that $3 toward some nitro!  😁

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 11:10:27 PM »
My understanding from resurch is that M5 is a byproduct of M1 (Methanol),, a little more volatile than Methanol, also with the inclusion of 1-3% Nitrocarbol (commonly known as Nitromethane ??),, VP dose not elabourate on the exact amount

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 04:13:49 PM »
Nothing is more important than batch consistency when tuning for the long pull at Bonneville. IMHO, you have far more control of your destiny by starting with a "reliably" pure product and carefully adding, and recording, your own percentages.

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 09:56:12 AM »
My understanding 5% is nitro. Problem is if you want a different strength it could be confusing. M1 and add nitro to get the desired % is what I am setting up my current under construction build for. Makes it easier in my opinion.

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 01:30:55 AM »
i am not interested in introducing %'s of Nitro into M5 (been there, done that with M1, and had success 8-)),,

I am only interested in hearing the thoughts of anyone who has had first hand experience with running the product M5 (it would appear no one on this site has),,

Rex, I will soon be running my bike on the dyno with M1, then plan to run M5 to see what changes it makes to the tune,, will let you know  :-D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:29:33 AM by stay`tee »

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 09:07:04 AM »
I am only interested in hearing the thoughts of anyone who has had first hand experience with running the product M5 (it would appear no one on this site has),,

Wow, sorry I hurt your feelings. John Ritter

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 04:31:43 AM »
No feelings at all John, especially no hurt ones anywhays  :-),,

I just felt, as so often happens on public forums, the topic was beginning to vere off course

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 11:53:15 AM »
Understood. I have a fresh 5 gallon M1,  a gallon of nitro and couple quarts of castor based oil in the engine dyno room right now for the couple of personal 2 stroke engines I am setting up, one for 1/8 mile drags and other is altered class lsr so I am not a newbie, was only attempting to be helpful.