Author Topic: Under coating  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Under coating
« on: September 29, 2019, 10:40:17 PM »
Its been a long time since I posted anything, but I have always read the posts, and enjoyed them.

In my class, I/BGALT, I can run a step pan.

Question: Would it help aerodynamics to remove the undercoating on the bottom of my car? Undercoating meaning the rubber stuff they spray to prevent rusting.

I am thinking that it would not have that much of a impact on the overall issue. The reason I ask this, is a friend of mine suggested this.

Any thoughts?

TIA
Clay

Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
Re: Under coating
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 10:40:56 PM »
And yes, I do run a step pan
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Bratfink

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 07:51:02 AM »
if you were friction drag dominant I?d say yes. But most vehicles are not. My guess is maybe 1-2 counts of drag reduction.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 01:07:55 PM »
  Clay, if you run a front Air Dam (legal in Your class) You probably won't be getting that much air under the car.
  I I was building a new car and could afford it, I would powdercoat EVERYTHING, INCLUDING THE COMPLETE BODY, CHASSIS, TIN WORK, BRACKETS, et al.  Everything but the nuts and bolts.  I have had problems on My trailer with bed liner getting moisture underneath the coating on the axles,etc.
  On My existing car I only did the chassis and suspension and it's the only thing that has held up for twenty plus years.
                                                                "One Run" Bob, out...................................
Bob Drury