Author Topic: side car / Production  (Read 2677 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

side car / Production
« on: November 27, 2006, 05:10:47 PM »
I am a little confused here.  If one takes a production class motorcycle -  and puts on a sidecar -  does this move it out of the production class?  

If so it would be SC - ?   depending on gas or fuel?

forgive my ignorance -  I'm just curious!

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
side car / Production
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:56:27 PM »
Once you "add" a sidecar, it is no longer a production bike.

So, it would just be a sidecar... like SC-xxxcc

Matt

bak189

side car / Production
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 07:18:06 PM »
Yes, if you mount a sidecar on any class bike ............it is now in the sidecar class.........
there are NO classes in the sidecar class.......
HOWEVER, there used to be classes, but
SCTA/BNI. in their wisdom did away with
classes and just called it .......SC.
In fact, the record I still hold in sidecars was noted in the record book as A-BG 1300c.c......
around the early 1990, it became a record
noted as SC-1350   First they did away with passengers (around 1987) then they dropped any and all sidecar classes.   Is it any wonder
why so many sidecar racers are now competing in the BUB International Speed
Trials.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
side car / Production
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »
There is a great deal of disparity in the SCTA sidecar class. In 1990 I set a record in a sidecar streamliner (built by bak189) but since there was no streamliner sidecar class it was set in SCAG 1300 (GSXR 1100 punched out ) When the sidecar class was changed a few years ago to a very generic SC class the record was changed to a SC1350 record. This a long way from the purpose built vehicle  that actually set the record.  This streamliner is now in the Barber museum. SCTA sidecars are once again becoming "wheels on a stick" which is a complete departure from what a side car should be. Since passengers are not allowed in SCTA (they are at BUB) there should at least be platform minimums that realistically represent a real racing sidecar and its ability to carry a passenger.

bak189

side car / Production
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 07:24:08 PM »
The last post by Larry C is is correct ........and he should certainly know sidecars, being a 3 time AMA National Sidecar Champion  in Roadracing back in the 1970's and  the  Holder of 3 BNI sidecar Records at Bonneville in resent years.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Kaz

side car / Production
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 07:45:47 PM »
Those things are Hard to Hold on Too :shock: !