Author Topic: CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats  (Read 15671 times)

Offline racergeo

Re: CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2019, 12:16:02 PM »
   My concern in all of this is a big WHAT IF. What if the top echelon of the BLM decided that in view of the criticism they are receiving from the land racing community, they are going to do the right thing. What if the right thing in there mind was to start the reparations with no regard to the race season. What if in an effort to put a measurable amount of salt back on the surface it meant not stopping to let it dry during the summer. What if they used the same formula the highway dept. uses for repairing our roads. Just put up barriers and redirect the traffic and a few years later there done. Maybe the BLM lady's "let it rest for a few years" was in the works. In view of the drama associated with the deteriorating salt (wrecks, engine carnage, aborted runs) what if the SCTA saw the wisdom in this?? I'm just saying, what if. :|

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2019, 09:24:28 AM »
I cannot see how the mining company can have any interest in returning the salt, even if someone else paid for it. Surely that would 'dilute' the desirable content as the potash to salt ratio would get worse with every repatriation so each subsequent gallon of briny water pumped for extraction yields less potash and more salt thereby becoming more expensive and subsequently less commercially viable.

The salt will be returnable when they pack up shop and move on so the racing community needs to acquire Intrepids I-80 mining operation as the racing community seem to be the people who care most about this natural wonder / national treasure.

With luck the SO4 mining company in Australia will make Intrepid unsustainable and they will sell the plant and the salty tailings for a song: https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/213817/salt-lake-potash-working-on-bankable-feasibility-study-as-first-brine-begins-pumping-213817.html
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Online noboD

« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
It sounds like they already have a solution. If racers keep writing letters like some suggested here maybe they will just eliminate the problem by stopping all racing. It is obvious they won't stop the mining until all is ruined.