Author Topic: CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats  (Read 15685 times)

Offline aircap

Re: CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2019, 12:50:36 AM »
If you seriously think the media did salt racers a favor with this report you are clueless.
I know a hit job when I see one, and that's exactly what it was.
CBS can go to hell.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2019, 10:14:54 AM »
Being on the news - good. The edited sound bites - bad (mostly).

Especially a couple of seconds of somewhere very teary eyed about hopes and dreams - that's not going to win a bunch of million dollar notes to repatriate some table salt.

I do not know the people or the players but I am sure more was said that ended up, metaphorically, on the cutting room floor.

Please save some salt for me for 2021.

John, UK
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline gowing

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2019, 12:15:10 PM »
If you want something done right,... sometimes you just have to do it yourself.

Perhaps the racing community should produce a documentary stating their side of the story
and the truth about the condition of the salt.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »
You, young feller, have just put the kernel of an idea into my head - and I betcha a bunch of others, too.

Why the h*ll shouldn't we?  I doubt that it'd be difficult to find a video producer to take this on for the fun and fame, and we've got everything else we need.  That'd be Sid with his measuring stick and some of my pics from when I put toilets out (in the mud at the 7 1/2) to shots of the power washer folks just off Land's End and so on.

Comments?? cromag
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »
You, young feller, have just put the kernel of an idea into my head - and I betcha a bunch of others, too.

Why the h*ll shouldn't we?  I doubt that it'd be difficult to find a video producer to take this on for the fun and fame, and we've got everything else we need.  That'd be Sid with his measuring stick and some of my pics from when I put toilets out (in the mud at the 7 1/2) to shots of the power washer folks just off Land's End and so on.

Comments?? cromag

:cheers: :clap :cheers:

CBS did us no favors with the greater population that has no real connection with the racing world but does possibly when it come to preserving a national treasure.  The video did not put us in a good light and neither did the written article that implied by the picture and caption that it was us tearing up the salt surface.  We love the sound of the cars on the salt but I'll bet the general population has a differing view and associates the cars and the sounds negatively.

Emphasis has to go on the thickness of the salt in the past vs. the present and showing the salt on the other side of the highway.  Doing that would not make it very hard for the viewer to visually comprehend what has happened. 

Sumner
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:51:44 PM by Sumner »

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2019, 01:29:31 PM »
I agree that it was a hack job,but its (CBS) guys,how many people even watch that station on a Saturday morning?I would bet very few
327,B/GR

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
I didn't see it live, but then -- we don't have a television set nor fast service to watch via 'puter.

Anyway, yep - time to do our own hack job. :deal
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ski123

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »
Just a few thoughts after reading the comments:  Any exposure on TV is probably a good thing overall.  Saturday morning is the least watched time slot of the week.  Many angry at CBS why?  If you are not driving the narrative you are a passenger.  The best idea was creating your own documentary.  There has to be many college students in the SLC area who would love to do some some work on this.  Instead of bustin' each others nut on this forum start contacting people who can help.  Contact CBS for a follow up.  Multi media is where it's at, there are so many ways online to get exposure so many different angles.  I hope this whole situation doesn't end up like the NAE where they complained a lot about money and then rejected any idea that would help in the long run.  Control the narrative or it controls you.  Newspapers love press releases, magazines love short articles, radios love audio clips, journals love accounts and so on and so on.  Web sites, pod casts, documentaries, short films, billboards, events, gatherings, show & shines, fliers, car wraps, so many forms of media to be used.  Is there a local brewery that could create a custom beer for the cause.  I think you would really have the support if you can accurately get YOUR word out there.  Racing on the salt is so freakin' cool who wouldn't want to be a part even if they don't participate, they just don't know the issues or how to help the situation.  I know you guys with all your connections and knowledge can pull this off.  Just get of this forum and do it.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2019, 03:20:38 PM »
I totally disagree with the idea that " Any exposure on TV is probably a good thing overall."

If the producer/editor is hostile or ignorant about what they are covering, it's going to be negative. TV could make even Mother Theresa look bad.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2019, 05:12:19 PM »
...  Contact CBS for a follow up....

Haven't had a reply to the email I sent them, not even a generic computer generated one,

Sumner

Offline ski123

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2019, 06:28:32 PM »
I totally disagree with the idea that " Any exposure on TV is probably a good thing overall."

If the producer/editor is hostile or ignorant about what they are covering, it's going to be negative. TV could make even Mother Theresa look bad.

I hear and accept what you are saying.  My thought is get the exposure to more people then ever, then expose the facts in a follow up.  Sunlight is the best disinfectant.  Most people who saw the CBS piece have no idea about whats going on, but now they have been exposed and now is the time to educate before people start creating an opinion with half the facts.  The ball is on the field, somebody pick it up and run with it. Please.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:25:17 PM by Sumner »

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2019, 07:16:37 PM »
CBS spent a lot of money on an 8 minute segment.  They have hours more to air if the "Debate " "Rages ".
They are begging us to give them something to be outraged about.

Folks outside LSR took way " Being mined for potash and the Salt isn't being put back. "

So, you're slighted or offended.
Complain to CBS.
They want to hear from you.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2019, 07:20:26 PM »
I'm sure there are them among us who can make a great video.  But how do you get it seen?  The message can not be the racers whining, but the destruction of a national treasure for some bucks for the BLM.  They seem to like anything that can show a profit, rather than an expense to maintain.  Concurrent with government policy regarding other federally-protected lands, this may not be as easy a sell as it would seem.  But that's the right way, and probably the best way to approach it. But how do you get it seen?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2019, 08:53:34 PM »
Since the "Save the Salt" persons were the ones who actually were the Pro-Salt part of the program, they are the ones who need to respond to the CBS program with a rebuttal. They need to get CBS to give them air time to respond. If they were to ask for funding to produce a documentary via GoFundMe or other means I am sure they could raise the money. Everyone reading this would contribute.

So here is a challenge to Save the Salt - Talk with CBS to get them to agree to air time. Produce an unbiased documentary on what is really happening, air it and educate the tax paying public that a national treasure is being sold by the BLM.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »
Airing anything on the news is a crap shoot, more often than naught, racing of any sort is not main stream enough. (the greasers comment shows a lack of respect and ignorance) sorry, I digress.

OK, maybe now the message is to document the mining on public land and the resulting destruction of a National Monument. This message might be best shown/aired/produced with National Geographic or Discovery channel.

Best, J 
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.