Author Topic: CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats  (Read 15689 times)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats
« on: September 28, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »
Just heard: Next Saturday CBS This Morning about B'ville salt disappearing!  :?
Looks like we have achieved the impeachment level of newsworthy!?!?  :clap
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline 55chevr

Re: CBS National News Coverage for Bonneville Salt Flats
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »
Woody --- The salt isn't really disappearing.  It certainly is leaving and I believe we know where it is going.

Joe

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
Well I sure hope they don't present the well bribed UofU stooge and the dumb BLM managers that can't see the other side of the road.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
Probably have fatass giving the yearly I've-done-it-all report.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 02:51:10 PM »
Fake news, just a hook to get you to watch :deal
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 05:48:33 PM »
We need to get Russia, Ukraine and Giuliani in on this bet its to make hair dye an orange color for an angel  :angel:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 05:51:51 PM »
Well I sure hope they don't present the well bribed UofU stooge and the dumb BLM managers that can't see the other side of the road.

I'll bet they do have the Smirking Scientist on that video!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

velocity

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 12:42:17 PM »
Bonneville Salt Flats, UT -- On Saturday, October 5th, 2019, CBS This Morning is scheduled to air a report on conditions at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Check your local listing for exact times.

The CBS network news crew spent two days on the salt in mid-September observing the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association's "World of Speed" event where they spoke with more than a dozen racers, officials and spectators about the unchecked decline in salt crust thickness -- essential to safe land speed racing and record setting for amateur motorsports.

CBS This Morning co-host Jeff Glor, producer Dan Ruetenik and cameraman Roger Masterton conducted interviews with USFRA President Dennis Sullivan and Veteran land speed racer Rick Vesco, both of whom have donated countless hours to the effort to restore Bonneville.  Historical racing footage was provided by Pete Farnsworth, builder of the Blue Flame Rocket Car, Danny Thompson shared clips of his father Mickey's original Challenger runs, Al and Jane Teague's Spirit of 76 streamliner, and TEAM Vesco of the 500MPH Turbinator along with film clips going back to the 1950s.

Save the Salt is working with local, state and federal government officials and the mine lease holder to implement a 10-year Restore Bonneville program. It will dramatically increase the amount of salt being pumped onto Bonneville after potash is removed. The current pumping program has helped stabilize Bonneville, but the infrastructure must be upgraded in order to restore this historic landmark.  In early 2019, the State of Utah appropriated $5 million to the restoration process, contingent upon receiving $45 million from the federal government and other sources. The program will be administered by the State of Utah in coordination with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

Details: "LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth | louise@savethesalt.org

Offline gowing

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »
The program will be administered by the State of Utah in coordination with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

Well........ Bummer!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »
Woody --- The salt isn't really disappearing.  It certainly is leaving and I believe we know where it is going.

Joe

x 2! !

Mining is an EXTRACTIVE process.   In many more ways than just removing the potash . . . . .

:dhorse:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 12:32:29 AM »
I expect more incorrect facts & politically corrected bull$hit will be shared with Joe Public through the media as usual, resulting in no change to the current & unchanged loss of salt still going down the drain to the mining company.
"Disappearing", to go somewhere it can't be found. Here's a news flash! The salt is in the mining company's tailing ponds & the Bonneville drain is still flowing!
  Sid. :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse: :dhorse:.....................   

Offline jacksoni

Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »
Rape is not an opinion! It's a crime!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »
Rape is not an opinion! It's a crime!
Notwithstanding "parental" consent in a dysfunctional arranged marriage where the dowery is the first concern.

Yeah, Woody, that one pi$$ed me off as well.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 10:03:02 AM »
The Bureau of Land Mismanagement is GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY! As a former Chicagoan, I can only wonder how much dinero the BLM guys got for destroying a natural resource. BTW - The Blue Flame got one second of film exposure. wow
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast