Author Topic: Ford 337 Flathead, XXO, right???  (Read 14774 times)

Online deepindebt

Re: Ford 337 Flathead, XXO, right???
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »

I don't know if you have kept up with the record in this class but at Bonneville it is over 200 mph already ...But one must remember this class was intended to be for roadsters that were sitting in racers garages that were not run anymore because they were not competitive. And to get them out of the garages and give them a class to run in.
Tom G.

The Bonneville record holder is an on-the-ground long-wheel-base car. Not a Classic Roadster like the Brissette Brothers or the Sadd, Teague and Bentley 29/32 roadsters from the 1960s. Sounds like you need to make Classic AIR classic

Maybe a 1963 engine cut-off date for Classic Engines would be more appropriate. The NEW engine designs came out in 1963 or '64 for GM. Ford and Chrysler switched earlier.
And that's another problem,long wheel base roadsters should not be allowed in a non modified class, but I know :dhorse:
327,B/GR

Offline RichFox

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2019, 10:24:59 AM »
New engines in '63? Small block Ford, yes. But the much run small block Chevy came in 55. As did the Pontiac, and Packard. Nostalgia depends on when you were born. For me it is before Chevy small blocks. A time of 303 Oldsmobile engines. And what ever you had. Newer people will have newer nostalgia.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »
The NEW engine designs came out in 1963 or '64

Ford FE & MEL, Chrysler B/RB, Chevrolet W: 1958

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2019, 07:14:39 PM »
New engines in '63? Small block Ford, yes. But the much run small block Chevy came in 55. As did the Pontiac, and Packard. Nostalgia depends on when you were born. For me it is before Chevy small blocks. A time of 303 Oldsmobile engines. And what ever you had. Newer people will have newer nostalgia.

Maybe I should have said: The later, more modern engines that came-out after 1963 or 1964 should not run against Classic Engines released between 1949-1962. Like 1965 Chevy Mk IV big-blocks.

BTW This kid first ran Santa Ana in 1957, so my nostalgia is older  :-)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:25:25 PM by Beef Stew »
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2019, 07:28:41 PM »
Sure has become way off topic from the 337 Flathead original subject matter.  So to add to this roadster talk what about the coupes turned into roadsters back in the day once allowed with many setting records as roadsters the few that still exist presently are no longer allowed to run for records in the modern era. So whats the story on that?
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2019, 08:26:21 PM »
I guess there should be a Compressed Air class in every sub- and regular category.  We'd almost catch up with the motorcycles.

I've seen some classed in other sanctioning bodies, 1-cyl., 2-cyl., 3-cyl. -- overhead, underhead, F-head, -- 2-stroke, 4-stroke, just stroke the official -- gas, alcohol, nitro, other -- seat higher than the cylinder head, green number plate, etc.

Everyone's a "World Record Holder" -- step right up with your checkbook.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2019, 09:39:35 PM »
Sure has become way off topic from the 337 Flathead original subject matter.  So to add to this roadster talk what about the coupes turned into roadsters back in the day once allowed with many setting records as roadsters the few that still exist presently are no longer allowed to run for records in the modern era. So whats the story on that?
 Ronnieroadster

Rod Rider President Marlon "Red" Sefton sold his coupe to someone who cut the roof off. This is one I know of, there were probably many more. 

The '32 doesn't look as slippery as this 29 on 32 rails.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:46:45 AM by Beef Stew »

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2019, 01:30:39 AM »
I guess there should be a Compressed Air class in every sub- and regular category.  We'd almost catch up with the motorcycles.

I've seen some classed in other sanctioning bodies, 1-cyl., 2-cyl., 3-cyl. -- overhead, underhead, F-head, -- 2-stroke, 4-stroke, just stroke the official -- gas, alcohol, nitro, other -- seat higher than the cylinder head, green number plate, etc.

Everyone's a "World Record Holder" -- step right up with your checkbook.

All you need to do is to go back to the days of yore. No street classes, just racecars. Roadsters, lakesters and streamliners ...all running on fuel.  Maybe make a Fuel Street Roadster class, so that Stan Back can keep running :wink:

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
 Ronnieroadster

Rod Rider President Marlon "Red" Sefton sold his coupe to someone who cut the roof off. This is one I know of, there were probably many more. 

The '32 doesn't look as slippery as this 29 on 32 rails.

One Im especially found of Scottys Muffler service roadster held a number of street roadster records and still holds the El Mirage AA/BFR record it started life as a three window. But today its not a welcome car when it comes to records.  The 29A roadster has an interesting touch hanging out of the grill shell the front drive blower has a belt driving the injection pump.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
Same body. Different decade. Different owner

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2019, 06:21:17 PM »

One Im especially found of Scottys Muffler service roadster held a number of street roadster records and still holds the El Mirage AA/BFR record it started life as a three window. But today its not a welcome car when it comes to records.  The 29A roadster has an interesting touch hanging out of the grill shell the front drive blower has a belt driving the injection pump.
 Ronnieroadster

The 29/32 belonged to the Brissette Brothers, Bob and Jim. Jim was badly burned while driving this 29/32 roadster at El Mirage..

Besides the roadster, they ran a tank. Both Bob Brissette and Howard Eichenhofer, got in the 200 MPH Club with the Brissette & Eichenhofer lakster.  Bob Funk, who drove Jeff Shipley's tank, was killed at El Mirage in  July '62, while driving this car.

Jim was an engine builder, who knew how to make a lot of horsepower. His Woody-car, with the late Bill Alexander driving, was the first to run over 220 mph in Top Fuel. Later he worked for Doug Herbert.

I have no idea what the problem is removing the top from a coupe. There is no advantage, that I can see, over a smaller frontal area 1828-31 body.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2019, 03:23:42 AM »
Nostalgia: Remember when you could land a plane at Bonneville or EM! And then came the BLM . . .   

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »
(Is this off-subject?)

Years ago, an older fellow (probably younger than I am now) landed a plane and taxied over next to the return road opposite our pits.  He struggled to get out -- he had mobility problems.  The plane had a longer than usual right side door which he'd opened and took out a small motorcycle.  He started it up and didn't return for quite a while.  He put it all back together and took off.

I'm not sure, but I mentioned it to someone years later and they said he'd crashed somewhere in the mean time.  The report might be suspect to some -- "he was run over by a motorcycle during a plane crash . . . "
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
(Is this off-subject?)

Years ago, an older fellow (probably younger than I am now) landed a plane and taxied over next to the return road opposite our pits.  He struggled to get out -- he had mobility problems.  The plane had a longer than usual right side door which he'd opened and took out a small motorcycle.  He started it up and didn't return for quite a while.  He put it all back together and took off.

I'm not sure, but I mentioned it to someone years later and they said he'd crashed somewhere in the mean time.  The report might be suspect to some -- "he was run over by a motorcycle during a plane crash . . . "

Well, it is Funny Friday...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2019, 03:22:47 PM »
& that was the reason Don Francisco had a light weight fold up bike in the back of his Cessna, he said he didn't want to get run over by it if he crashed.
  Sid.