Author Topic: HANS - SFI/FIA  (Read 11146 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: HANS - SFI/FIA
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »
If you can use a HANS in a streamliner or a lakester your car is too tall.
  Sid.
My Lakester is too tall.  :cry: I made a conscious decision about the profile and seating position which may (probably) prove to be wrong  :-( but I?m having fun building it and I?ll own up to the outcome either way.  8-)
John
A bigger frontal area is not necessarily wrong Mate but it is going to create more drag. When I see a bellytank with an oil rig parked on top of it I wonder what happened there!
  Sid. 

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »
I haven't seen where their is an expiration date on a HANS device like there is on seat-belts and helmets.  Is it in the rule book somewhere?

Thanks,

Sumner
HANS states recertification required every five years, I wasn't aware that SCTA wasn't in line with that.
  Sid.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 01:44:45 PM »
Excepting helmet, seat belts and fire bottles, there are no date requirements (arm restraints after 2006) in the rule book. As DW is fond of saying, don't read into the rule book what isn't there. That is not to say that getting your stuff recert'd isn't a good idea.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
W/r/t to expiration: even if no date I'm sure it's affected by ozone, fuel fumes, UV rays, temp changes - but may not be detectable.
If originally bright white, tan color may indicate chem change. Keep a scrap section inside a zip-loc bag in the dark for a color comparison. Like roof paint: if the top is lighter than the door, it changed.

"it does feel pretty hard but it spreads the impact load over the surface without bottoming out"
True. However: it's a "one-use" device. If you wreck, and not positive that nothing touched it, replace it. Helmets are a throwaway.

I'm sure no one wants to take it off after the season, I suggest Saran wrap.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2019, 02:05:45 PM »
If we are going to start limiting the use time of our Hans devices or fires suits I can tell you I'm "outahere". I understand helmets, belts and fire-bottle testing. but not head/neck restraints and suits. I know suits aren't mentioned here but I've talked to suit manufactures about making an alteration and they OK but would down grade the suit to "useless" for me..I know bad things can happen and happen quickly in LSR competition but I know my limits and one of them is $$$$.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro