Author Topic: HANS - SFI/FIA  (Read 11212 times)

Offline neandethal

HANS - SFI/FIA
« on: September 26, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »
i am about to buy a HANS device so i can set up my streamliner, but in the UK they only come with FIA certification not SFI, would this be acceptable to the boys at Tech? UK import taxes on stuff from the USA is crippling, 30% added on.

Offline jacksoni

Re: HANS - SFI/FIA
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »
For this you probably should ask directly to a SCTA official. I don't see a specific person in the long list but would suggest Lee Kennedy, car technical committee chair: lee.kennedy@avmetrics.net  He can direct you to the proper person if he can't answer.

FWIW, in my personal experience using a Hans for 10 years now, they have never looked at the SFI tag, just said where is the Hans, see it, and go OK. Suit and other things that are specifically date limited (seat belts and helmets) get a close hairy eyeball.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 05:59:36 AM »
Leatt MRX and Simpson hybrid Head and Neck restraints are both SFI certified and available in the UK. Not making any recommendation or comment on cost here but they might be an avenue to explore.
John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
Leatt MRX and Simpson hybrid Head and Neck restraints are both SFI certified and available in the UK. Not making any recommendation or comment on cost here but they might be an avenue to explore.
John
I have used both and I like the Simpson much better only because it is easier to bail out than it was with the Hans,just my 2 cents
327,B/GR

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:07:26 AM »
An update to this thread (and an apology to the thread initiator).

Apparently HANS (the company) have somehow brought pressure to bear on Leatt who have withdrawn their really nice head and neck support (SFI certified) to concentrate on the motocross market and the Simpson Hybrids in the UK DO NOT carry the SFI certification, just FIA.

I purchased the Leatt to set my car up - I need to check the rules and the SFI sticker now as it may well expire before I get to tech in 2021 with it and will not be re-certifiable by Leatt. It accommodated quite a large lay back seat position really well. I just spoke to the retailer as the link to it on their website doesn't work anymore and I was curious re spares. Bother.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
The HANS restricts the amount of forward head tilt & that becomes a visibility problem in streamliners due to driver lay back position. The Simpson allows you to get the chin of the helmet down to your chest but you will still need to have a helmet with a low enough visor to see forward in extreme positions. If you can use a HANS in a streamliner or a lakester your car is too tall.
  Sid.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
There are different models of Hans for different positions and an adjustable one as well.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 08:07:24 PM »
There are different models of Hans for different positions and an adjustable one as well.
Can you post a link to the HANS that doesn't have the chest plates that restrict the helmet? I can't find one on line!
  Sid.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 10:38:06 PM »
Ok, I didn't totally get what you were saying and was thinking about the part at the back of the helmet. Sorry.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 12:32:12 PM »
i am about to buy a HANS device so i can set up my streamliner, but in the UK they only come with FIA certification not SFI, would this be acceptable to the boys at Tech? UK import taxes on stuff from the USA is crippling, 30% added on.
If you are just starting your build & you buy a head & neck now, it will probably need to be re-certified before you're ready to run. You might want to see if you can borrow one to design your seating, head rest & cage around. In the event of a crash, you need to have good shoulder & high back support, clearance for the head & neck & helmet support. As I said before, the Simpson allows you to get the helmet closer to your chest but you'll still need find a helmet that has a low enough visor opening at the bottom to make it work.
There are many well meaning people offering advice here on the forum but if they're not liner builders, that advice is a guess.
Packaging in a liner is a nightmare, 10-lb of $hit in a long skinny 5-lb box.
What are you building?
Mine is a AA/BFS-4WD & I have 20yrs of liners before this one.
  Sid.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 01:14:37 PM »
I would suggest contacting Steve Davies of SCTA.
His contact info is at back of rule book.

That said, I have a very early version of HANS, before the SFI cert number established.
I took it to an inspection station and had the SFI sticker applied. No issues.

You can more than likely have this done when you bring car over to run it, just plan ahead.

Best, John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 02:26:19 PM »
I haven't seen where their is an expiration date on a HANS device like there is on seat-belts and helmets.  Is it in the rule book somewhere?

Thanks,

Sumner

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 10:38:33 PM »
I haven't seen where their is an expiration date on a HANS device like there is on seat-belts and helmets.  Is it in the rule book somewhere?

Thanks,

Sumner

Nope  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 12:11:28 AM »
My RaceQuip restraint has adjustable straps that limit the forward tilt of the helmet. However, I don't know at what point the helmet would contact the chest plates (I barely recline in my lakester). Also, the instructions say NOT to adjust the straps away from the manufacturer's settings.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 08:49:03 AM »
If you can use a HANS in a streamliner or a lakester your car is too tall.
  Sid.
My Lakester is too tall.  :cry: I made a conscious decision about the profile and seating position which may (probably) prove to be wrong  :-( but I?m having fun building it and I?ll own up to the outcome either way.  8-)
John
Just a squeeze.