Author Topic: Rosco  (Read 11643 times)

Offline TD

Re: Rosco
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 08:32:07 AM »
The AI team have proposed a modification to the unlimited LSR rules.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/06/08/aussie-invader-teams-pursuit-of-1000-mph-now-involves-quest-to-change-the-fias-land-speed-record-rules

TL;DR: 

1. Two timing traps, each about 3 miles from either end of the course, one in use for each run direction.  Intent is to support a 3-mile acceleration and 8-mile deceleration without requiring a 17-mile course.

2. Two-hour turnaround.

Discuss.  Or not.

Be well
Tim
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:27:04 PM by TD »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 11:51:30 AM »
My 2 cents.
 Considering the speed & vehicle differences we have now compared to when LSR started, this would seem like a good idea but changing the parameters to make it easier would be an injustice to those who previously "broke" an existing record on one trap in one hour in both directions.
Back when SCTA changed from return runs to next day down runs it created the same situation & I thought at that time there should have at least been a line drawn through the record book showing the difference. As in those guys did it down & back within one hour but these new guys went back to the Motel, got a good night's sleep & put down another one the next day.
There were times back in the "return run" days when we were a red pussy hair from 400 but missed out on the record because time ran out by a few seconds.
Don't get me wrong, I totally agreed that the end of Bonneville return runs due to the lack of salt was the correct decision for safety especially after Nolan ran out of real-estate coming back toward the freeway.
To me, changing the rules/parameters you wouldn't be breaking a record, you would be claiming a record, just like Mickey Thompson Challenger, The Budweiser Rocket & the American Eagle.
  Sid.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 01:37:51 PM »
Good point, Sid. I started doing my thing at Bonneville back in 1993 when we did same day return runs in the opposite direction. My car was simple and other than an MSD failure, it didn?t take too much time to get ready for a return run push. But the 400 mph cars take time to make a return run. I understand Rosco will have trouble refueling in a one hour time span hence, an extended turn around request.

I really don?t know the answer to this. Our dwindling resource at Bonneville is making it harder for 400/500 mph cars to run for records there. The alternative is really only Australia as Bolivia is only for the well heeled and the political situation there doesn?t make it any better.

In bicycle track racing, you can set a record anywhere in the world so long as distance is certified. FIA records are like that too. But the turnaround time is something I think should remain fixed. If you can?t build a car that can be ready for a one hour return run, well, time to rethink what you are building. Just my opinion, however.

John

Offline desotoman

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 02:37:20 PM »

Back when SCTA changed from return runs to next day down runs it created the same situation & I thought at that time there should have at least been a line drawn through the record book showing the difference. As in those guys did it down & back within one hour but these new guys went back to the Motel, got a good night's sleep & put down another one the next day.

Sid.

Sid,

I agree that something should have been done with the existing records once the new rules went into effect. Especially when the distance required to be able to set a record changed. IMO they should have been retired, and a special part of the rule book set aside for those records stating why they were important. Sometimes I wonder how high the records would be in some classes if we were still running on the original format.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 03:44:58 PM »
?

To me, changing the rules/parameters you wouldn't be breaking a record, you would be claiming a record, just like Mickey Thompson Challenger, The Budweiser Rocket & the American Eagle.
  Sid.

Not sure I get the inclusion of Mickey Thompson in this group Sid.  Which rule(s) did he ignore/change?

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
All three claimed a world record with only one run.
  Sid.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 10:41:09 PM »
Motorcycles have 2 hours to turn around (FIA) so why not cars?
In the name of safety, I think it's a good idea.

Willi

P.S. I agree, the old "three run" records should have been preserved and set aside.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline Paulin adelaide

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 03:27:56 AM »
Because we in the DLRA here in australia had to cancel our FIM ,FIA meet i have deleted my regulations  . So i cant bring up the appropriat clause .
One of the regulations required in the " fine " print that the return run had to be Completed  within the 1 or 2 hour window which adds extra  stress
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 03:35:25 AM by Paulin adelaide »

Offline TD

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »
Because we in the DLRA here in australia had to cancel our FIM ,FIA meet i have deleted my regulations  . So i cant bring up the appropriat clause .
One of the regulations required in the " fine " print that the return run had to be Completed  within the 1 or 2 hour window which adds extra  stress

See here:  https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/2020_appendix_d.pdf

Article D13, "Timekeeping".

Best
Tim

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 04:04:57 PM »
All three claimed a world record with only one run.
  Sid.

Thanks - I wasn't aware MT made that claim.  Presumably the famous 406.60mph run in September 1960?  I thought that was meant to be the first run of an official FIA attempt, and he couldn't make the return run due to a mechanical failure.  So an independently-timed one-way pass, probably the fastest ever at that time, but in no way any sort of official record.

Offline martine

• Vero Drive - Advanced Driving Coaching
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2020, 04:10:33 PM »
...The alternative is really only Australia as Bolivia is only for the well heeled and the political situation there doesn?t make it any better...
Or Hakskeen Pan, South Africa of course.  :-)

Actually the Bloodhound team had a choice of around 30-40 tracks around the world identified as possibles by Swansea University.  Some are too remote, some not flat, some have dodgy weather etc.
Martin - Bloodhound LSR ambassador

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2020, 05:28:01 PM »
...The alternative is really only Australia as Bolivia is only for the well heeled and the political situation there doesn?t make it any better...
Or Hakskeen Pan, South Africa of course.  :-)

Actually the Bloodhound team had a choice of around 30-40 tracks around the world identified as possibles by Swansea University.  Some are too remote, some not flat, some have dodgy weather etc.

Can anyone other than the Bloodhound team use Hakskeen Plan at the moment?  Having paid for the track to be prepared I thought they had sole use until ?. :deal ??

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2020, 05:41:04 PM »
 the last report from the bloodhound team was if they did not get the money that they needed to pay for the rockets and other stuff that the car was not going to be on the pan next year. I think that Rosco should be given the ok to run his car at the pan.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline tallguy

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2023, 09:37:28 PM »
In the spirit of helping others, that would be nice. 

Since there are so few teams left seeking an absolute LSR, perhaps folks that had been supporting other teams such as NAE or Bloodhound might want to consider helping Rosco's AI project.  I consider myself to be in a "former team" category, and will plan to send some $ in the AI direction. 

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2023, 04:31:22 PM »
ROSCO-Fastest Aussie Earth McGlashan book by Mark Read is now available at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/ROSCO-Fastest-Aussie-Earth-McGlashan/dp/B0BRLVSFKJ/
That is the link.
Buy my book, SPEEDQUEST first, of course. But, it will be a good read.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast