Author Topic: Rob Freyvogel/Carbiliner #496  (Read 38928 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Rob Freyvogel/Carbiliner #496
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
Here is the latest update on Rob's recovery off Facebook. Keep up the good work Rob.

Tom G.

Carbinite LSR
May 20 at 6:03 AM ?

Apologize for the long delay in any updates. No major changes, but a slow steady progression in Rob's recovery.
We've just been busy dealing with life in these crazy days we live in. Still doing rehab a couple days a week. Not walking yet, but he is now able to eat a wider variety of food so that was a huge step as he was always complaining about being hungry! We were able to take Rob over to where the car (what is left of it) is being stored. We decided to not even touch it till he was able to see it as it was right after the crash. Most of the team was able to get together. It was not necessarily an easy day, but a good one. His first words when seeing the car were "I think we can fix it". We are still not 100% sure he was joking, but we do see his sarcasm and sense of humor coming back. Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers. Andy for the 496 team.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2020, 01:51:30 PM »
Thanx, Tom
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline salt27

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2020, 02:40:30 PM »
Rob and Sue, I don't know how to contact you and don't want to bother you even if I did but if you have not already you may want to consider hyperbaric chamber treatment.

My wife has a brain injury and it seems to be helping her.

Best wishes, Don

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2020, 05:10:40 PM »
 a little more oxy getting through the cell walls helps all kinds of healing  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »

Here is the latest update on Rob's recovery off Facebook. Keep up the good work Rob.

Tom G.

Thank you for posting the update Tom.

Keep up the good work Rob.     We are all pulling for you.

F/B
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline desotoman

« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2020, 01:21:13 PM »
Was thinking of Rob today and his crash last year. Found a new post Andy made.  Keep up the good work Rob. We miss you.

Tom G.

Carbinite LSR
August 4 at 7:55 AM ?

Andy here. Know it's been awhile. No major changes in Rob's progress, so obviously that is a bit discouraging for him at times. There is still potential for improvement in his physical abilities but he does get discouraged and loses motivation when it seems like no progress is being made. Carbinite is doing well in the midst of the pandemic. Rob does remember all of you as he reads comments and we chat about past time on the salt. He will not be out this year but is open to visiting and seeing old friends at some point in the future. Hope everyone has a great Speedweek!

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »
I hope Rob has not slipped off of everyone's radar. It has been just over a year now and here is the latest post.

Rob, keep at it, and things will get better.

Tom G.

Carbinite LSR
September 15 at 10:27 AM ?

Today marks the 1 year anniversary of Rob's crash. In some ways it seems like a decade ago, in other ways it seems like it was just a few days back. This documentary was just finished up by Todd Sampson's Body Hack. The crew from Australia spent a couple days with us just before the crash happened and did a wonderful job of capturing what drove our team. Again, a big thank you for the prayers and support shown by so many people that helped us get through this past year. God continues to give us the Grace we need for each day.

https://www.facebook.com/CarbiniteLSR/videos/646569176292350/

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2020, 07:03:51 PM »
We have kept Rob in our prayers and I am glad to know that he's still doing well. Get well soon and we'll see you back on the salt Rob.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline desotoman

« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2020, 10:30:18 AM »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2020, 12:05:07 PM »
Happy belated birthday from me too, Rob. Someday let's go back to Area 52.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »
And from Patti and I as well.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2022, 07:21:43 PM »
This was the last post on Facebook by Andy about Rob and Sue and how things are going.
We miss you Rob and keep up the fight to get better.

Tom G.

Carbinite LSR
April 22, 2021 ?

Andy here for Rob & Sue. Apologies for the incredibly long delay in posting any updates on Rob. We know many of you are praying and thinking of him and his family often. As much as we have all been hoping for major positive changes, there have not been many. Rob has been stable for about a year now. He has undergone a variety of treatments, mental and physical therapies, along with medicines and supplements. The reality is that the damage done to his brain will never fully heal. We have not given up hope for the possibility of continued long term progress, and will continue to pursue any treatments we think could be helpful, but he will never get back to his pre-crash condition and the likelihood of him progressing beyond where he is right now is very slight. Rob has pretty much all of his memory, other than about a few weeks prior to the crash and the following 6 months. His body is healthy, and so physically would be able to function, if only his brain could coordinate what he wants it to do. He has full movement, but the fine motor controls have not come back. He can do things like feeding himself, wheeling around in his wheel chair, and brushing his teeth, for example, but he is not able to perform complex activities like walking and has great difficulty typing or writing. While he can talk (slower than before) and his memories are all there, they are still jumbled and his higher level thinking is impaired by the damage to his brain. Engineering and design work unfortunately are very unlikely in Rob?s future. The problem is that he cannot pull his memories and knowledge together to consistently or reliably process it. Some things he says are spot on. Others, not so much... Sue is taking care of him full time. Her strength and commitment have been amazing to see, and she has been encouraged by your prayers and the many that have given of time and resources in so many other ways. The road was not easy for her, even prior to the crash. I was very unaware of the world of land speed racing when Rob decided to build a Lakester for an acquaintance, and then move on to designing his own car that so many people came to love, but I have come to appreciate and love the world of LSR. Looking back, I think there are many things that Rob would have done differently, and we even discussed some of these the day before the crash. He really wanted to just get the record and be done as he knew the toll that was being taken on his family and himself. Land speed racing is an incredible culture. The ingenuity and passion on display is evident, but the ?salt fever? can get so strong that it hurts those around you. Pride and selfish ambition can very easily get in the way of logic, and this was the case for Rob. I?ve also seen incredible stories of good on the salt and in racing as a whole. Rob did so many things right, but he also, admittedly, made some big mistakes along the way. If you have salt fever, I am not suggesting you give it up, but just take some time to make sure you are doing it the right way. Do not put your vehicle or goals in front of the people that you love. Do what it takes to bring them alongside, and give them the time to accept and support without forcing things. The risks are great and you don?t want to have regrets. Enjoy the salt or whatever else you are passionate about, but keep things in perspective. Put priority on the things that matter most, faith, family and friends. Based on my conversations with Rob prior to, and after the crash, I know Rob agrees. Find your purpose, joy and hope in the person of Christ and the things He says are important, as His words are true. Temporary joy is found in this life and in the things we accomplish, as this world is created by God for our enjoyment. We find that joy and purpose when we use our gifts and abilities to do great things, but the only lasting joy is found in Him. Despite the rotten turn of events that happened on the salt for Rob, his family and team, there is still hope, because our hope is not in a car or temporary pleasures. I?m also not saying we have achieved this ideal, as we still struggle at times, but we are confident that our permanent Hope is secure, knowing God provided it for us through His own sacrifice. This truth carries us, and we hope each of you can see Him more clearly because of getting to know Rob and the team. If you can, then Rob would be pleased. He said many times along the way that if this car project points just one person to Christ it would be worth it. There will not be many posts from here on out, but we will share when we have time or if things change. We do greatly appreciate the prayers and support. Don?t hesitate to reach out to me and I will pass messages on to Rob and Sue.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2022, 08:49:42 PM »
Thanx for this update.  It has been a long time.  I'm happy he's made some progress after the latest I'd heard.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2022, 12:54:45 PM »
I just wanted to post this reminder of happier days at "Area 52" in Nevada with Rob testing his Carbiliner.

All the best to you, Rob and to Susan and to the whole team. Merry Christmas to you all.

Offline gray63

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2022, 05:14:46 PM »
Thanks for posting this Neil. I often think of Rob and his family and friends. I also hope that they have a Merry Christmas.
Regards, Dave Gray