Author Topic: Rob Freyvogel/Carbiliner #496  (Read 38832 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Rob Freyvogel/Carbiliner #496
« on: September 16, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »
I'm starting this separate topic so we have an easy to find location for information about Rob's journey back to racing health.  Best wishes -- and let's get ready to send notes and cards.  I'll get an address for us to use.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rob Freyvogel/Carbiliner #496
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
wow SSS  :-o you gave me a start there for a moment  :-)
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline superleggera

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
update this morning from the Carbinite LSR page on Facebook @1hr ago.

(note: this is posted in the prior post -- but it is the latest info on Rob)

This post is from Sue, Rob?s wife.

I would first like to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes. And very special thanks to the safety team, first responders, and the whole team at the hospital.

We all know the dangerous nature of this sport. Rob has always been obsessed with going fast. He has a brilliant mind and persevering nature. While the project never had my full blessing because of the risk of something like this happening, I could not force him to give up his dream either. The team did get it right when designing the car for safety. He would not be alive if the car didn?t do exactly what it was designed to do.

Right now, we are in a holding pattern of waiting. He does have a serious head injury. He is sedated, in ICU, with lots of tubes and monitors and frequent testing. He is on a breathing machine. He does respond to pain and his pupils are reacting. Some positives but he is definitely not out of the woods yet. We have a lot of questions that will take time to answer. God is sovereign and has this under control. More than anything, Rob desired to glorify God in his life. I don?t know why this happened this way, or what the outcome will be. Please continue to pray and we will update when possible.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:05:22 AM by superleggera »
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline GW

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 12:17:10 PM »
On the way out of town this morning I was in conversation with some racers that had some info on Lee Sicilio, and it seems he too is in need of our thoughts (I was told things relative to both the crash, and of his condition, but won't repeat them here as none of it was confirmed).

Slim - Perhaps you could start a thread for Sicilio/Daytona as you've done for Freyvogel/Carbiliner.

GW

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 01:56:29 PM »
Prayers go out for Rob and his Family. Sorry to hear this as I was up in the hills on my way to Ely I heard on the radio they were coming to get back in line from a turnout. Must have been when they forgot to put the bottles for the shifter on. After that I lost radio reception.

Get better Rob we are pulling for you.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
Address:

Patient:   Rob Freyvogel
U of U Medical Center
50 North Medical Drive
Salt Lake City Utah

Same address for Lee Sicilio, by the way.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
Here's a Pennsylvania address for Rob.  Use it, please, so the house/family doesn't get overwhelmed by cards sent to the house.  Thank you.

Carbinite Metal Coatings
463 Brownsdale Road
Renfrew PA

In the meantime - send to the hospital, too!!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:57:28 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »
Thanks to everyone involved in keeping us informed!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline gray63

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:06:50 AM »
I am praying for Robs full and complete recovery.  Also for all of his friends and family.
Rob has been a good friend and mentor to me and I would not have had the courage to
compete at Bonneville without his encouragement and advice.
Dave Gray
# 3611
BGMS

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 09:38:14 PM »
I found this cool pic of Rob on Liz Leggitt's Facebook page and grabbed it.  Thank you very much, Liz.  I hope you don't mind but since I figure not all of the folks on this Forum know Rob personally -- a pic of him sounded just right, and yours fit the bill perfectly.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 08:23:43 AM »
Carbinite LSR;

I am absolutely overwhelmed by the outpouring of support in this time of greatest need. I?m not much of a social media person, but the power of this platform is obvious in the number of comments, likes, and messages that we are seeing. People around the world praying, sending well wishes, and sharing memories of Rob. Words cannot express my deepest gratitude for each and every one of you.

This is a picture of Rob when we were at Bird Kingdom in Ontario. It was a trip that he planned, and he did a good job of choosing activities that I would like. He wasn?t always good at that, but he tried and I love him for it.

There is not much to update medically. He has moved from the surgical intensive care to the neuro intensive care unit. The SICU care was superb, and so is the care he is receiving here. This unit deals with head and brain trauma specifically. He is stable, still on a ventilator, and is responding to pain. He now has a feeding tube and his brain is being monitored with an EEG. His care is being optimized to allow healing of his brain. We've heard that this is a marathon, not a sprint many times now! He needs time.

There is video of the crash out there. It must be horrific. While it is good for safety experts to analyze the video so no other families have to go through this, it is not good for anyone in Rob?s family to see what happened to him. I appreciate that it has not been posted online, thank you.

This morning, I woke early in a very fearful state. So many decisions to make, so much waiting, being separated from family and home and pets and work. God spoke to me and said that I cannot live in the realm of ?what if? ? that is irrelevant to this situation. I have to live in ?what is? and trust Him for ?what will be?. He already has this figured out.

Our Carbinite Metal Coatings family is just outstanding. Andy and I are out here in SLC with zero concern for our company. It is in such good hands.

With sincerest gratitude,
Sue, our family, and all of the folks at Carbinite and Carbinite LSR.

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
We left Wendover for SLC on Sunday morning and a number of miles east on I-80 we were still able to hear the track radio on 1610 AM. Ron said that the Carbiliner was at the line and took off down the course, sounding very good. The speeds were reported (I think I heard "432" but the radio reception was getting poor) and then "an incident on the course". At first we were not sure if it was Rob or someone else running on the short course. Soon it was clear that it was Rob.

On Sunday I had stopped by the Carbiliner pit to say hello and Rob asked me how things were going. We talked about the problem I had in tech getting low enough in the cockpit to get completely under the cage tubes and Rob offered me his spare helmet. We tried it but our problem wasn't resolved so I returned it with thanks.

A few years ago Rob invited me to bring my car up to "Area 52" where he and his team were going to make some test runs on that dry lake. My car was not finished enough to bring but I did drive up and had an opportunity to get to know Rob and his Carbiliner team. They are really fine people. My wife Joline and I pray for Rob's recovery and for Sue and his team.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 12:50:40 PM by manta22 »
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 11:31:56 AM »
What a class act!  I was visiting Tim Cox yesterday and he could not get over the number of people htat must have sat in that car in the last few years!!  We all hope you get well soon friend!   I hope you are well enough to have visitors in October in Pa.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 03:00:09 PM »
We were pitted right next to the Carbiliner crew during WOS. A great group of guys. They kept coming over and asking how our Rookie driver was doing. It is very ironic that on Sunday we were one car back in the left staging lane as the Carbiliner as pushing off. The last picture on my camera was of them leaving the line on that fateful run.

I have prayed a lot the last few days for Rob's full recovery. I have also prayed for peace,  comfort and understanding for Sue, their family, friends and Crew. God is with Rob and He is the ultimate Healer!

GODSPEED Rob!

Tom

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 06:52:41 PM »
Carbinite LSR:

Rob and I were big X-files fans back in the late 90?s. ?Trust No One? has been my mantra, trust is very difficult for me. So being asked to trust a lot of people I don?t know with my husband?s life is terrifying. I woke early again, feeling very fearful. This made me realize that my journey to trust (people and God) instead of fear is going to be a marathon, just like Rob?s journey to recovery will be a marathon.

We have more support here from PA. Rob?s mom and sister arrived safely earlier today.

This is day 4 after Rob?s accident. The brain swelling is peaking. He still has reflexive movements in his arms and legs, is responding to pain, and his pupils react. But it would not be unusual for him to backslide a little neurologically. He is being closely monitored.

A small victory yesterday! His ventilator settings were changed to allow him to initiate breathing on his own. He tolerated this for almost two hours. Weaning from the vent can take time.

His cranial pressure has been good. His vital signs are stable. He had a CT scan today, but the results are not in yet. He is still not responding to verbal commands.

He will have a big day tomorrow. Assuming this can all be scheduled, he will go to the OR for a tracheostomy. He cannot keep the breathing tube in indefinitely, so it?s better to do this now rather than later. He will also get a more permanent feeding tube. They want to remove the O2 sensor and take him for an MRI.

Rob?s family, the Carbinite crew, and the LSR crew all appreciate your support and well wishes. We?ve been reading every comment and have been so encouraged. Thank you, we love all of you. Stepping out in faith and trust to run this marathon! Enjoy this morning view from our host's deck.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA