Author Topic: 2019 WoS somewhat real-time results  (Read 57736 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: 2019 WoS somewhat real-time results
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »
  Hard to imagine the Carbiliner is no more for me it was certainly an engineering marvel. Thank god Rob survived prayers for a full recovery and future projects we can all marvel at.  Would anyone have the results from Sundays back up runs interested in car  246 XF/BFMR     
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2019, 11:21:12 PM »
Just got home from the WOS, what a great meet! The USFR people did their usual great job and made everyone really feel great. I was heart broken at Rob's crash as I have known him since he and Brandon first started to conceive their car. Visited their shop several times during the design and construction of the car and my personal belief was that the car really did have the potentJial to be the first car over 500 with a recip motor. Probably never know now. Great to hear that Rob is all in one part and is starting his long recovery I know we will all keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

Duke and I had a couple of initial "challenges" (self inflected) but got past them and ran a best ever of 195.75 so we still have about 25 mph to find so Stainless and the Bockscar boys won't be loosing any sleep over losing one of their many records, to us anyway! Duke and I really have a great time working together and he had his "sweet heart" Olivia with him and she was our official good luck lady!

A comment on the Strasburg lakester and their lady driver. She absolutely knows what the pedal on the right side does!!! She was so much fun to watch, after her last run they came back with some pretty shredded tires and it was not hard to see or hear why!

Again hats off to the USFRA and their great people.

Rex and Duke  984 I/FL
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #122 on: September 17, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
Rex:

Now that we have several 400+ mph cars competing and not so perfect surface conditions, tires, once again, are becoming a problem. Reaching 500 mph may not be as hard for the cars to accomplish than keeping tires in one piece. With declining distance, lighter cars will have to be built if for no other reason than to lessen tire loads. Not likely we will see any upgrade to 600 mph rated tires.

John

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #123 on: September 17, 2019, 10:19:55 AM »
This just posted on a local news outlet:

WENDOVER ? A Bonneville Speed Week racer has been airlifted from the Salt Flats Race Track after he was involved in a wreck at over 350 mph on Sunday.

Wendover police officer Nic Francis said the man was racing in an aeronautical, a low friction, high-speed vehicle, when the crash occurred. The man was airlifted from the scene in an AirMed helicopter.

Hopes and prayers for a good outcome.

RCKirby

I saw that article and wondered how they came up with that description.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #124 on: September 17, 2019, 10:53:29 AM »
My thoughts and prayers are with Rob and his family.

Any word on Lee Sicilio (spelling?) I understand he is recovering from a wreck in the 97.  Praying for a full and quick recovery for both.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Beltguy

• Beltguy website (links to my other sites)
« Reply #125 on: September 17, 2019, 11:32:35 AM »
Does anyone know why Target 550 did not run?
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Retired Gates Blower Belt "expert"
My tribute to the Phoenix Land Speed Record Truck:
http://www.beltguy.com/Phoenix_LSR_Truck/The%20Phoenix%20LSR%20Truck.htm

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #126 on: September 17, 2019, 11:49:13 AM »
Target 550 DID run.  Valerie was close to 300 when the rough course orchestrated damage to the car including both engines.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #127 on: September 17, 2019, 11:54:37 AM »

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #128 on: September 17, 2019, 12:16:42 PM »
Like I said. . .  Thanks, Justin.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #129 on: September 17, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »
I was in the pits when Valerie made her final pass and she was not afraid to give it some pedal but being that the car has no suspension and a pretty long wheel base the engines were surging as the car was bouncing over the somewhat rough course. My bet is that the traction surges were making the load on the engines vary quite alot and the rods decided they wanted some fresh air. Project is still in the development stages.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JR529

« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
What was the final word on salt conditions on the long course?

Bumpy, Slippery, (specifically where?) WF is coming up!

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2019, 06:35:09 PM »
I drove the first three miles
Crap until 2 1/4
My van was hard to contol at 60
"Better" after there
Stewards were warning drivers about conditions after the 4

I ran the short course

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2019, 07:44:41 PM »
Long course conditions vary greatly depending on the vehicle. Some made good use of it, some struggled. Chet's roadster put up some big numbers, the Strasburg lakester, made passes over three hundred and chewed up the rear tires approaching 350. There was traction to be had.

From the starting line to the two, there is loose salt on top, but hard pack underneath. It looks bad but provided decent traction. From the two to the three and a quarter, it is hard and smooth. From the three and a quarter to the five and a quarter,  it is hard and bumpy. From the five and a quarter to the seven, the salt is very thin with mud patches showing all over. It does provide a usable run out area.

That is my assessment,  hope it helps someone.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2019, 10:38:17 PM »
Long course conditions vary greatly depending on the vehicle. Some made good use of it, some struggled. Chet's roadster put up some big numbers, the Strasburg lakester, made passes over three hundred and chewed up the rear tires approaching 350. There was traction to be had.

From the starting line to the two, there is loose salt on top, but hard pack underneath. It looks bad but provided decent traction. From the two to the three and a quarter, it is hard and smooth. From the three and a quarter to the five and a quarter,  it is hard and bumpy. From the five and a quarter to the seven, the salt is very thin with mud patches showing all over. It does provide a usable run out area.

Loose on top but hard packed underneath good grief kind of reminds me of August maybe a touch looser then but still not good the way I see it.  In the area most need to put the power down your back pedaling whats the point I ask!
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #134 on: September 18, 2019, 02:00:18 PM »

I made a couple runs of 250+,one to the 5, You could really put down the power 3-4. 4-5 rough 5-6 shut down was an adventure.  Glad I had "mechanics hands" to hang on to the wheel since my car is un-sprung :-o. Also glad I have some Elmo experience trying to find traction.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nq9R35Pi3PN588Nh8?fbclid=IwAR1s1nwUyN0tCcMWZEo-K61-PpNv2CrQZv7SyTg_ntjlrGEqIH9a6gTxsio
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean