Author Topic: What class?  (Read 14223 times)

Offline GeneF

Re: What class?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2007, 06:26:44 AM »
Hi GeneF
That is a pretty looking car  8-)

What front grill has it got, from the photo it looks like a track nose?

Gary

Not mine, (I wish) I took the pic at the 03 W/Fs and yes it did have a track nose.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »
Gary,

Just got back from a trip and saw your note about not receiving the E-mails with attached pictures.

Glad to hear that you got the '34 Body. I'll narrow the focus on wider body styles. There was a great looking '34 @ Bonneville running in Rear Engine Modified Roadster.

The "old" Kelly and Hall '34 pictured above is one of my favorites. Not only did it run good, but it just looked RIGHT!

Tom

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »
Hi Tom

Glad to hear from you was wondering if you had recieved that pm.

Roadster body is at home now  :-) now have something to start planning around. My father has been asking what motor we are going to use, which means he has a plan of sorts in his head. Been sorting out my pile of parts to see what I have that might be of use.

Gary
I blame my parents!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »
Gary,

Did you receive the PM's at your new E-mail address? I sent some pictures of '34 and later modified roadsters.

I even tried to post a picture of the 212 REMR yesterday but got a message that the file was too big. I guess I need help in properly sizing digital pictures.

Tom

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 01:24:46 PM »
Tom:

There's a free, rather easy to use program, that resizes, here: http://www.xemico.com/photogadget/

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 02:29:32 PM »
Thanks Mike,

I'll give it a try.

Tom

Offline Cword

• http://www.ucalgary.ca/~mdsiewer
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 03:45:15 PM »
Kudos on approaching the body/class question early.

Even if a guy's first inclination is to run "what he's got" "just for fun/experience" it's a very worthwhile approach.

We're from the "it's what we had so we built it" camp.  A situation that leads to a lot of questions and soul searching within the crew as we work for a little bit more every year.  The more involved we are at Bonneville the more the goals of the individuals in the group evolve. The "have fun", "gain experience" thinking gets joined by "be competitive" and "record" thoughts.  The latter two place a lot of pressure on decisions made early in the project.

Mike
Mike Siewert
North of 49 Crew
 1149 B/STR

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 02:52:22 AM »
Hi Tom

Yes got your pics thanks, liked the action shots of your car  :-D, it looks great. Could you send some pics of your role cage (no rush )for my files. I have been following a thread on head restraints and movement inside the cage but havent seen a cage similair to yours over here, also yours passed tech inspection. The other pics gave lots of things to think about. Couldnt open "coffee table" not a file according to my pc.

Cword thanks for the reply. I Like to have a picture or plan of what Im going to build, it makes it easier and faster if you know what you want/need in a project, "be competitive" has already crept into the discussions  :-)
I blame my parents!

dwarner

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 08:10:29 AM »
Mike,

Excellent advice. Message board users see a little bit of what questions that are asked. The "I'll build what I think is good and on hand. I will ask the classification question when I get there." post is one of the most popular. What is seen here is maybe 1/3 of the same question I and others get.

DW

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 02:16:11 PM »
Gary,

I will send a picture of my roll cage. It's been redone twice; once for height, I'm 6'2" previous driver was 5'8", and most recently to widen the shoulder bar (it was too narrow to fit comfortably). As I may have mentioned before but not necessassarily on this thread, that having a comfortably driver is very important. In designing the cockpit have all the important controls in a tight circle of one hand, i.e. Shifter, chute release, ignition and fuel shut-off, fire bottle, etc so that you can opperate everything without switching hands. It's important to be able to reach everything easily without having to think where things are, you want things to be automatic actions. Arrange things in level of importance; chute release, fuel shut-off, ignition shut-off and fire bottle controls.

One of the new rules that will come into play soon is that head movement must be limited to 2" in any direction. A well designed cage should accomplish both aft and side to side movement. I sit back in my cage with less than 1" to the head rest but found @ Bonneville that at speed my helmet started to rotate back and I had to reach up and pull down on the helmet to see the gauges, NOT A GOOD THING! I fabricated a secondary pad out of 1' round tubing with a piece of roll bar padding mounted on a bent piece of .125" steel sheet about 4 " wide. The new pad is in the top quadrent of the helmet and actually causes the helmet to rotate slightly forward at speed. Lucked out on that design.

Starting from scratch like you are you can also focus on getting the driver down out of the wind, aided by a good windscreen design.

Hope this helps! This is not gospel but just my observations.

I sort of wish I had started out from a blank piece of paper, but live and learn.

Race cars are not static. They evolve as speed increases and little things become important.

Have fun and keep everyone updated on your progress.

Tom

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 02:20:48 PM »
Gary,

Also look at topic on "hutchens head restraint device" on this forum.

Tom

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2007, 08:09:51 AM »
Tom

Have been following that thread, have also looked at some pics on the build diaries for more info with regard to cockpit layout. Getting to the point of doing some rough drawings for the chassis.

Would just like to say thankyou to you and everyone else for your input, I was unsure how I would be able to get answers to questions that only you guys would understand. I fel very much at home Here  8-)

Gary
I blame my parents!