Author Topic: What class?  (Read 14224 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: What class?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 10:29:47 AM »
Ask Shug Hanchard. He set 5 records in one week with one car, 3 different classes, 2 fuels.  Starting as a XO/BSTR. Your a pretty smart guy, you figure it out....Just remember the difference in classes says you "may" do something....not "shall"................................JD

Yup. I think I got it because I did that same record thing every day of a full speedweek for 2 years in a row 20 years go.
I did a lot of may or may not stuff also.
The bikers need more imagination I guess.   LOL  :wink:.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 01:05:30 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 11:49:28 AM »
Jack is certainly creative, not only in rule book interpretation but execution. To make a single car competive in multiple classes, much less setting records, is quite an accomplishment!

I was talking with Jack last night at the SDRC meeting and listened to how with some fairly simple changes you could go from a Street Roadster to Gas Roadster to Modified Roadster. The switch from gas to fuel is obviously easy, with some tuning issues. To be able to run competively while going up in body classes while not being able to take advantage of the big differences in wheel base/ engine setback/ aerodynamic front ends is amazing.

I remember talking to a family at El Mirage several years ago that had a Street Roadster/Modified Roadster where they could remove the rear fenders and headlites and add a frame extension and a new nose. It was a very slick setup. As I recall the conversion could be performed in several hours.

It's hard enough to get a car competive in one class much less several. My hat's off to anyone who tries!

Tom

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 01:20:57 PM »
Too bad Tom is such a kid and never saw my back motored dragster style lakester made into a streamliner with the 32 Ford front fenders on the rear facing backwards.
 They were sure swoopey.
I remember the old timers starting to be upset because they thought I notched a real set and the smiles as they walked away when they saw the fenders were fibre glass.
I walked away with a record and Basketcase walked a picture into Hot Rod.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
Gary,

See what I mean about Jack being creative!

TG

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »
Tom that was Ed Hardings roadster. Now Shugs. It was a legal street roadster. He set a record. Took the lights and fenders off to make it a gas/fuel roadster..Did that because he had too. Set 2 more records. Came back into inspection and entered it as a modified. MADE NO CHANGES. You don't have to. Everything in a modified says "may" set 2 more records...Granted all of them were low speeds on open records. He still has 4 of them

I personally would be against any changes in the rules. If you can set a modified roadster record with a street roadster with the fenders off; all it does is make people build the proper car and put the records where they belong...

I always thought the whiners in the coupe classes were dumb for changing the rules so a Gas coupe couldn't run in Comp coupe. Who cares if you are faster than a real comp cpe with a gas coupe. Just shows you know what you are doing and the competition doesn't....Just an opinion...J.D.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »
Hey wait !
Tone is stealing my lines !
That is not fair that he can do it so easy.
Did I tell you I did the same thing with door slammers too ?
NO?
That is good because that is still a speed secret that is safe with me and safe from Honda also.   LOL

Offline RichFox

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 04:33:55 PM »
You mean I put that ugly nose on my roadster just so I could run in V4F/GMR when I didn't have to? Now that there is a V4F/GR class they tell me.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »
You mean I put that ugly nose on my roadster just so I could run in V4F/GMR when I didn't have to? Now that there is a V4F/GR class they tell me.

They were not supposed to tell you !
Oh, never mind, that is not a bike is it.  LOL

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi guys

Heard a few stories about Shugs from a fellow countryman of his, dont know the guy myself so will only say that he seems to be an inventive fellow, allegedly drove his car to the Nats overhere, broke the gearbox some miles from the event so drove the car in reverse to get there  8-) If he got the records using the rules, well done that man  :-D

Tom have sent you a reply on your email address.

Having a look at a roadster body tomorrow, fibreglass and reasonably cheap  :-D

I blame my parents!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2007, 07:12:04 PM »
Hi Gary,

I got your E-mail and sent you some pictures of my car, then today I send pictures of Street Roadsters and a number of Gas/Fuel Roadsters and various types of Modified Roadsters (including Rear Engine) the we took at Bonneville this year. There were 4 seperate E-mails because I could only attach 5 pictures per message. There must be a better way.

Tom

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Hi Tom have sent you a pm

Have a 34 roadster body now does anyone out there run a 34 in modified class?

Gary
I blame my parents!

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 02:00:13 PM »
Tom

How about posting some of those roadster pictures here for all us "roadster types" to see.  I believe even the bike guys will allow it.

John

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 02:43:26 PM »
There are 34 roadsters that run modified
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline GeneF

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Hi Tom have sent you a pm

Have a 34 roadster body now does anyone out there run a 34 in modified class?

Gary

Yep, a real pretty one too.

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 03:51:30 AM »
Hi GeneF
That is a pretty looking car  8-)

What front grill has it got, from the photo it looks like a track nose?

Gary
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:53:38 AM by Flyingbrick »
I blame my parents!