Author Topic: What class?  (Read 14228 times)

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
What class?
« on: November 27, 2006, 09:27:18 AM »
Hi Everyone

Have read through an old rule book but cant figure which class the car would fit. The car isn't built yet so changes can be made.

The plan is a stock 41 Willys body (fibreglass) using a home built chassis (spaceframe)running a narrowed rear end with independent front. Guess the motor will be a big block at present.

Hope that's enough info Gary
I blame my parents!

Offline jimmy six

What class?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 12:59:30 PM »
I don't know which book you have but Production and Gas coupe needs a stock frame. . Start with the Modified catagory and continue on to the comp and altered coupes. You may need info on the vintage boby classes depending of the engine you are planing to use. Also for the classic class its area has some specific rules to follow with engines....

Those body styles have been known to fly at speeds over 150 so what ever your plans may take that into consideration. "Modified drag" styles for those bodies have a lot of additional changes to the body which make them illegal for any class in the SCTA.

Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
What class?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 01:18:14 PM »
Ta for the reply Jimmy

Looked at modified but it said has to seat 4 which would be a squeeze in a willys  :lol:  Have found someone with a 2006 rulebook which I can borrow so will look under your suggestions.

Many thanks Gary
I blame my parents!

Offline jimmy six

What class?
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
In the comp coupe rules it states a pre-1949 body does not need to comply with the 4 seats. We have a lot of  34 Ford types running in the fuel/gas altered classes and I'm sure your choice would fit into the same class if that's what you choose to do.. The Fords always used the rumble seat excuse.
Many cars in the 40's did not come with rear seats but still can run with gas/fuel altereds. It's obvious to anyone but a lawyer that your choice would not fall into the class of a "sportscar" because of the 2 passengers. I'm sure at some poiint Dan will chime in unless he thinks I've touched all the bases.
In 1975 when I started, frequently a '41 Willys ran at El Mirage and it was in the altered class. Once again good luck with your project
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
Re: What class?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »
Hi Jimmy thanks for your advice

Had a chat with a couple of guys running Willys over here at the drags and the general opinion was that any wind made things scary at the end of a quarter mile run. I have never been to the salt but figure big open spaces normally have some sort of breeze so have scraped that idea.

The plan now is to run a 32 roadster as I have never built one. Will still run in modified in some form, have started collecting any postings relating to this.

Many thanks Gary
I blame my parents!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:26:44 PM »
Gary,

Good idea to change body style.

If a '41 Willys was scary @ a 1/4 mile, just think what it would be like at 3 - 5 miles with a cross wind with very little traction!

Tom

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:50:23 PM »
Gary,

Another thought. If you are starting from scratch without being locked into a body you have sitting in the back yard you have many options. Besides the whole variety of engine choices, roadster body choice also involves a lot of variables. As an example; a '32 is a classic style and affords some room to package all the systems required but would be a little less aerodynamic that say a '29 or '27 that are narrower. Not as big a deal in vintage class or lower Street Roadster classes that are running under 150 MPH.

If you are looking at Fuel/Gas Roadster or Modified Roadster then body style is more important as speeds increase. The potential driver's size is also an issue. One of the most important things in a Roadster is getting the driver down as low as possibe (out of the air stream) same as the Roll Cage. The '29 and '32 have a little more leg room than a '27. Again F/G or Modified Roadsters allow a longer wheelbase, different engine positions, hood lenghts and firewall locations.

Real simple to choose isn't it !

Establish a good game plan before starting:
   Do you just want to go fast? How fast?
   Want to set a record? Cherry pick the class and engine size.
   Just want to have fun, be safe and run as fast as your combo will go?

I hope this gives you something to think about.

Tom

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 12:03:58 PM »
Thanks for the comments Tom.

Your comment on body aerodynamics got the brain juices going, the overall idea is to have fun and run at the salt so have some planning to do. Any advice you have would help, so feel free to chip in whenever. Mentioned the ideas to my Father who seems up for having a go himself which will be fun.

One Question
In Modified Roadster do you have to run with an original size grill shell for the year of the car? I note that you can extend the wheelbase and must have a minimum wheelbase for engine size.

Gary
I blame my parents!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 12:44:02 PM »
Gary,

In "Modified Roadster" you can streamline the nose of the car just about any way you like; from tappered to bullet or pointed nose, to using some type of laid back mini grill shell like a '34, to get a little downforce.

These are generalities for the class based only on my own observations since I really haven't studied the Rule Book for the class. I do look at the class with envy. Running a Street Roadster myself, the limitations of the class make creativity a little tougher.

With Modifed Roadster you have a lot more flexibility. With the longer wheelbase and the ability to change the Driver position to be more of a laid down with legs straight out, a '23 Body is very popular because of being so narrow. The major constrain is keeping the body ,cowl back, basically stock configuration, but that's no big deal because of the other AERO advantages.

Tom

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 01:31:27 PM »
Brick- you need a Bonneville program (just about any year will do) and look at the pictures of all types of roadsters if that is what you want to do. You need to follow all the sections of the rule book which pertain to what you want to build. You need to meet all sections of the rulebook which pertain to safety and construction.

A inspection checkoff is avalable at the SCTA-BNI website. (on the left side)..Good luck

Offline Flyingbrick

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 11:40:03 AM »
Hi Jimmy
Did as you suggested and got a program. Perfect solution for identifiying what i want to run, picking a class isnt as easy as I thought it would be but still fun  :-D

Read through the rule book during the holidays and guess I need to read it a couple more times at least. once I have worked out what im doing will post idea for feedback from you guys incase I have missed anything  :roll:.

Tom can you email me a pic of your car, would like to see it and see what fits in your class.

Happy New Year to you all, go fast but be safe  8-)
I blame my parents!

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 12:46:07 PM »
Flying Brick,

A truly fitting discription of a Street Roadster. I was going to send some pictures via a PM, but couldn't figure out how to attach them. I'll sent a PM with my regular E-mail address and connect that way.

Tom

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
Hey Brick ---- one more suggestion with reading of the book. After you feel you have the right class wherther it be street, gas/fuel, modified,or rear engine modified; remember to go back to the "vintage catagory" and meet all those rules pertaining to what one you are building. The exact Class has a lot of info, but you still need to meet the Catagory too.

If you are picking Street Roadster any roadster up to 1938 is legal. We see them all set records. 27's seem to dominate the smaller engines with 29's next. 32's hold some records and the big engines have 34's (all Fords of course). Roadsters with superchargers kinda aim toward the bigger cars but not always.

Good luck with your project .......

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 05:34:15 PM »
Hey Tone,
Tell me again how many classes I can run with just 1 1932 Hi Boy like mine.
It must be a bunch.
More than an open bike I bet.
Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 10:11:45 AM »
Ask Shug Hanchard. He set 5 records in one week with one car, 3 different classes, 2 fuels.  Starting as a XO/BSTR. Your a pretty smart guy, you figure it out....Just remember the difference in classes says you "may" do something....not "shall"................................JD