Author Topic: RIP Jesse Combs  (Read 17141 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline racergeo

Re: RIP Jesse Combs
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »
  Just watched on TMZ a video of the NAE. 65 seconds and it was already going fast at the start of video. At an average speed of 400 it could have traveled over 7 miles. How long is the course?  Not long enough, right

Offline Crosley

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 10:02:42 PM »
TMZ web site has couple photos of the crashed  NAE car parts on a semi flatbed.. wreckage of the  engine and 1 rear wheel . 
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline racergeo

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 11:43:31 PM »
   OMG it's the old picture is worth a thousand words. No chutes out after 65 sec. and the resultant wreckage, I don't need to know any more :-(

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 01:48:19 PM »
So many people wishing "RIP" Jessi  :-(-maybe it's time to LET her!  :dhorse:

Offline STICK777

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2019, 04:25:44 AM »
How long is the course?  Not long enough, right
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2019, 05:43:13 AM »
Sad fact is this will be talked about and speculated for years. LSR is a high risk sport and anything can and will go wrong. I watched Jesse on Extreme 4X4 years ago and thought it was so cool a girl was doing fab/weld work. She owned it and continued on to All Girls Garage, Over Hauling, and Myth Busters. JC was the real deal!!! 

Offline jww36

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »
According to Car & Driver, Jesse may get into the Guinness Book of Records. Her two run average that fateful day was 531.889 MPH. Her first run was over 515 MPH and second run was over 548 MPH.

Hope she gets the recognition.

Offline ack

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2019, 06:33:03 PM »
I hope she is recognized also it is a real tragic end to an amazing lady. We at one time entertained the though of putting her in the ACK Attack. Brian Leckey knew her well from Myth Busters and thought it would be an interesting angle for the documentary he was doing.  I am not sure what the rules are for automobile Guinness World Records. For motorcycle world records there are strict requirements for certified timing, mile and kilo surveyor certification to sub centimeter accuracy, and official sanction by the FIM.  Guinness has an agreement with the FIM and requires the FIM to certify the record before it is accepted.

https://www.hotcars.com/jessi-combs-record-sent-guinness-verification/

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »
She should not be recognized for a damn thing. She did not set a land speed record. All she did was go faster then kitty o'neal did in the smi motivator in 1976. The absolute land speed record is held by andy green.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline jww36

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2019, 09:38:15 AM »
We were talking World's Fastest Woman. I thought Andy Green was a man!

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
So, who timed and certified Jessi's runs? WLSRA? That is North American Eagle. All these spurious world land speed record claims never talk about what world record (flying start? distance? 100 feet? 132 feet? 1 kilometer? 1 mile?) how it is timed, who timed it, who certified it. For national or association records we have NHRA, SCTA, and others who specialize in certain venues or vehicles. The idea is to claim a record by competing against a record of known parameters. For instance, you can't time a vehicle at a different distance (100 feet versus 1 mile) and claim you are faster. That is why these organizations publish rules, and records in those organizations are set by following those rules. FIA, for example, also does not have a male or female record list, just the fastest vehicle and driver. Does any of the legitimate organizations recognize female records? Kitty O'Neil does have an FIA standing start record. She is the fastest, period. If we wish to maintain the credibility of the LSR sport, we have to insist on transparency and verification. This is not an attack on Jessi, a brave and talented woman.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline aircap

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2019, 11:42:35 PM »
Nothing against Jessi, but I don't recognize Guinness, a book designed to settle bar bets and drunken trivia contests. Heck, I barely recognize the FIA.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline tallguy

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2019, 12:40:15 AM »
   I'm pretty sure Jessi was all about being the fastest women. Ed would have recruited her in order to have that distinction. It would never have gotten him the distinction of being the fastest anything but 'plane without wings'. It says on the internet that a witness to the accident said she ran out of lake bed and couldn't get stopped before crashing much like a jet crashes.  Could have she been looking at the GPS and ran out of track?? A good friend of mine knew and financially supported Ed. He was in Ed's high school class and they were close. He was a casket carrier at Ed's funeral. I talked with him the morning after the crash and he acknowledged that"Ed should have been driving" So sad a loss. Way to young.

Very little information seems available online about this crash.  Where did you read about this witness to the
accident (reporting that Jessi ran out of lake bed)?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Bob Wanner