Author Topic: RIP Jesse Combs  (Read 17134 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: RIP Jesse Combs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 03:55:28 PM »
It is in the North American Eagle posting.
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 03:59:43 PM »
I just watched an older video of her driving that "thing".  It appears that it didn't even have a roll bar, let alone a cage.

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 05:07:27 PM »
 :-( :-( WOW that was the last thing I ever expected to read! Keep the pedal down  Jessi, rest in peace! :-(

Offline TAKERRY

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 09:18:09 AM »
I agree I noticed on an earlier video looks like no cage. I look at drivers in 200 MPH cars are strapped in and they look a lot more secure. Why does it appear like there was no drivers cage or am I missing something. RIP Jesse you ere wonderful on all the different TV shows and builds.
You will be missed.

No trailer ran 135mph at the World of Speed 2011 see you in 2012 in Ohio and back at Bonneville at the world of speed going for the 150club 1979 Firebird T/A White . Ck out YOU TUBE. KERRY AT BONNEVILLE. Didn't  make 2012,2013,2014. ECTA in Ohio 2012 trans went out and 2013 fuel problems . Still trans and fuel problems. Finally all looks good. Ready to drive (no trailer) 1500 miles to Bonneville and It's cancelled. NEXT YEAR. SEPT. ECTA RAN 144 MPH. GETTING BETTER. 2021 Ran 152 fulfilled a ten year dream to make the 150 club.

Offline aircap

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 12:54:09 AM »
No cage, not even an attempt at a cage.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »
FIA record attempt cars are not required to meet SCTA-BNI specs.
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: RIP Jessi Combs
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 10:31:37 AM »
FIA record attempt cars are not required to meet SCTA-BNI specs.

Since 2016(?) the FIA has adopted safety regulations closely aligned with SCTA-BNI.  MalcolmUK knows more about this, I understand.

As far as I know NAE never made an FIA-regulated/timed record attempt.  Sadly we may never know whether it was eligible to set an FIA record without significant additional work.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:45:43 AM by TrickyDicky »

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 08:08:00 PM »
Every news outlet that has reported the crash keep saying that she was trying to break the current land speed record but i do believe that they where only testing the car like the other times the car has been run. The NAE had never done any runs with any official timing equipment set up. The car will never run again. Waste of money time and a persons life.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline salt27

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »
Every news outlet that has reported the crash keep saying that she was trying to break the current land speed record but i do believe that they where only testing the car like the other times the car has been run. The NAE had never done any runs with any official timing equipment set up. The car will never run again. Waste of money time and a persons life.

In 2015 at the Alvord they had the USFRA timing equipment set up.
Whether or not it was monitored by officials I do not know.

Ed and Jesse, I'm glad I had the pleasure of knowing you both, RIP

Don

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:32:16 PM by salt27 »

Offline racergeo

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 12:10:32 AM »
   I'm pretty sure Jessi was all about being the fastest women. Ed would have recruited her in order to have that distinction. It would never have gotten him the distinction of being the fastest anything but 'plane without wings'. It says on the internet that a witness to the accident said she ran out of lake bed and couldn't get stopped before crashing much like a jet crashes.  Could have she been looking at the GPS and ran out of track?? A good friend of mine knew and financially supported Ed. He was in Ed's high school class and they were close. He was a casket carrier at Ed's funeral. I talked with him the morning after the crash and he acknowledged that"Ed should have been driving" So sad a loss. Way to young.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 12:18:17 AM »

Posted August 17, 2019 on the NAE website.

"It was load up day at the North American Eagle? hangar today.  Before too long we will be out on the lakebed helping Jessi Combs set some records."

Tom G.

PS. the question mark after Eagle is suppose to be a registered trademark symbol.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:23:18 AM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
According to a report by Fox News, a Harney County Sheriff's official stated that "There was a fire involved." but did not elaborate further.  I noticed that in photos of her in the car, she appears to be wearing an oxygen mask.  I wonder if the possible use of oxygen and the mention of fire could somehow be related.  If the driver became incapacitated, it could also explain why the vehicle didn't stop in the allocated area.  Hopefully, more details will follow.

Also, I seriously doubt that any attempt on an FIA record was involved.  To the best of my knowledge, the only applicable FIA records for thrust-powered vehicles are for the Blue Flame (Category C-TH-RT) at 630+MPH and the Thrust SSC (Category C-TH-JE) at 763+MPH.  I don't think they were shooting for either of those (only the latter would apply), and with FIA records, there is no gender-based discrimination.   

Jeff from Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 11:06:01 AM »
I have never set a record at Bonneville, but I do have a personal best speed of just over 200 mph. Perhaps these speeds that are announced as records are really "personal best" speeds. Impressive to say the least but not office records. Not taking anything away from the endeavor or the bravery it takes to   attempt those speeds. What ever the cause it is a  terrible loss.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 03:43:27 PM »
I don't believe that ed or jessi where breathing oxygen when they where driving the car they where being fed fresh air because of the dust that would enter the drivers area when they where running in the dirt. One of the goals jessi was trying to achieve was to go faster then kitty o'neal did in the smi motivator. Had ed not passed away and the team had a chance to go for the record set by thrust ssc ed would have been driving the car not jessi.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.