Author Topic: Steering stops:  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Steering stops:
« on: May 14, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
Last year at The World of Speed the inspector told Duke and me that we would need to put steering stops on our axle and being the nice guys that we are we just shook our heads up and down and said we would have them next year. So today while reading the new 2020 rule book I look at section 3T, page 51 and it says "No front suspension shall have more than 20 degrees of steering caster unless steering stops are used. Steering stops shall be installed to prevent wheel "flop-over" and the tires from contacting any other component when the steering is at full lock position." We run 10 degrees of caster do we need steering stops?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline RichFox

Re: Steering stops:
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 10:39:32 PM »
It makes them happy and is very easy to do. There was a thread about this a while back.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:15:40 AM »
Here you go, If your tires cant touch anything (that's what you want to prevent) at full lock I think you are good, go back to the first post to see why I needed them.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=16889.0
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:12:19 AM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:42:36 PM »
So Rex... what do you front tires hit when the tires turn all the way? If your relying on a rack and pinion gear set it's not a good idea in a competition car.
I had a competitor tell his hood sides were the stop....I told him yes they are indeed stops..Not steering, but tire stops..he understood without me saying anything else...
You definatley do not want you steering wheel to be snapped out of your had in an accident or spin.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro