Author Topic: First timer ready to race!  (Read 1548 times)

Offline drc42

First timer ready to race!
« on: August 17, 2019, 04:03:15 PM »
Excited for my first time on the salt.  My little Honda is pretty much ready to go.  Loading up tomorrow for the long cross country drive (visiting family on the way).

Sounds like the salt was "less than optimal" at speedweek but forecast shows 95 and sunny every day so hopefully we will have better luck.

How many bikes typically show up at BMST?  Heard early in the week at speedweek people were waiting many many hours in line to run.  Not bad if you are in an air conditioned vehicle towing your race vehicle to the line but I am a one man crew riding the bike to the line.... does the line move a little more quickly?

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
Re: First timer ready to race!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 06:18:20 PM »
Unless the course has a hold for wind or some other reason things move along pretty well. Bikes get sent out to the start line in groups of ten from pre-stage. It can take a little longer when there are both basic and intermediate groups running on the same track from two different starting points, as they alternate between those groups. When someone qualifies there can be a bit of a wait while they do a few return runs. The longest I had to wait last year was an hour and a half when the track was on hold after a crash and then then slowest bike of the meet ran when they reopened it. Then a wind hold had us stuck at the other end of the track for an hour and a quarter. However next day I was about the third or fourth bike to run. They turned me right around for a return run, and I had a record by 9 o'clock.  Later in the week you can hot lap and riders get in all sorts of seat time. In spite of the holds I have to say those moments out at the start lines were some of the best of the event for me.

Be sure your bike has a side stand or centerstand if you are solo. You will want to park the bike and sit in the shade at the start line if there is much of a wait.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 07:26:40 PM by Doc B. »