Author Topic: Salt Wash  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Stan Back

Salt Wash
« on: August 15, 2019, 05:49:03 PM »
Saw this on another site ? don't know how true it is, but interesting . . .

"The type of wash solution used to neutralize salt contamination is the soap that's used in an electric dishwashers. There is a company which is been in business at least 30 years sells a gallon of wash solution for approximately $30. 1 gallon this solution makes 100 gallons of wash. I sent it to a lab to have it analyzed.  Here were the results ? 94% water, 1% dye, and 5% of dishwashing soap.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
    • Paul Powell Performance
Re: Salt Wash
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:14:55 AM »
Would not surprise me at all that is what was in the product.

The bigger item is the "neutralizing" of salt.  That chemically is not possible.  If the corrosion was due to Ph (acidic or basic) then you can neutralize it by changing the Ph back to 7.0.  The issue with Salt is it speeds up the normal rusting process (oxidation).  It is a chemical reaction that is speed up by increasing the free electron present in salt (and salt water).  Current flows more easily in salt water than it does in fresh water. This is because salt water, an electrolyte solution, contains more dissolved ions than fresh water, meaning electrons can move more easily. Since rusting is all about the movement of electrons, iron rusts more quickly in salt water than it does in fresh water.

So the moral of the story, Dilution is the Solution to Salt causing rust!  Wash and wash again to get the salt off!  Yes soap helps remove the salt as it helps the surface tension.  Be careful not to use high pressure as it can drive the salt under seals and into areas you cannot get too!  Rinse and rinse again.  Then coat with a protective oil (Gun oils work great! as to Lanolin oils such as Fluid Film) That is how you help slow the rust monster.  There is no Magic chemical that can Neutralize Salt.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 11:10:26 AM by Paul Powell »
Paul Powell
Paul Powell Performance L.L.C.
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
Drive on vehicle lift and well water is a good way to keep the salt and rust at bay.  Even better if you let someone else do it/get wet!
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
Wow... I have a lift just like that....  :naughty
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Paulin adelaide

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
Here in Australia we have a product called SX50 ,   We have been using it for 5 years  on a new truck at the time . We start before speedweek by spraying it on and apply it each day after coming off the salt .  We have no noticeable rusting issues .
It is a marine industry product for engine flush ,trailer washing and fishing/scuba gear .     The instructions say One cap full to a litre of water  but if you havnt access to clean water and have to use sea water , use 2 cap fulls ..