Author Topic: New spectator needs info  (Read 13352 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: New spectator needs info
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »
I think I?ve abandoned the bike idea. I?ll be driving my car onto the salt or I?ll bum rides. I was just trying to confirm that there isn?t any way to purchase water on the track. I wonder if I would be allowed to sell water if I took a bunch?

You aren't an approved vendor plus most people will give water to someone who needs it. Sounds like a really good way to lose all respect in the pit area.

Pete

Offline Snoofer

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 02:49:57 PM »
When I had a stock car I would coat the rocker panels and undercarriage with baby oil before a race so the clay would wash of easier. Would that work on the salt?

Offline Snoofer

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
I think I?ve abandoned the bike idea. I?ll be driving my car onto the salt or I?ll bum rides. I was just trying to confirm that there isn?t any way to purchase water on the track. I wonder if I would be allowed to sell water if I took a bunch?

?You aren't an approved vendor plus most people will give water to someone who needs it. Sounds like a really good way to lose all respect in the pit area.?

Pete

I would not attempt it if it wasn?t approved. My point is that people don?t always come prepared and having water available to purchase would be a beneficial service.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:06:36 PM by Snoofer »

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2019, 03:53:47 PM »
I guess the cafe has water, and yesterday I noticed the ice cream truck had water listed.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline Snoofer

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2019, 04:37:30 PM »
Anyone have an opinion on whether pretreating my car with something to protect it from the salt is worth the effort? Or does it rinse off easily?

Offline drc42

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
I have heard that a liberal spraying of WD40 is a good thing.  That is what I plan in a couple weeks when I hit the salt for my first time at the motorcycle speed trials.

Basically just like your baby oil idea but the convenience of a spray can.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2019, 10:18:40 PM »
I sprayed the undercarriage on the bike with Pam.  Works well
Joe

Offline Snoofer

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2019, 12:06:44 AM »
I have heard that a liberal spraying of WD40 is a good thing.  That is what I plan in a couple weeks when I hit the salt for my first time at the motorcycle speed trials.

Basically just like your baby oil idea but the convenience of a spray can.

I don?t care for the smell of wd40. At the race track I have seen people use diesel instead of baby oil and their cars smelled terrible. I bought a one gallon pump sprayer at Home Depot to apply the baby oil. It worked well and the smell is much more pleasant.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:56:51 AM by Snoofer »

Offline drc42

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2019, 07:32:55 AM »
The pump sprayer baby oil sounds like a good idea.  Will be interested to hear how it works, might do that instead of the WD40.  Would be great if you can post about your results here afterwards.

Offline Snoofer

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 08:55:54 AM »
I?ll try to remember. My thinking is that salt will probably rinse off easier than mud. But maybe the baby oil will prevent it from getting in tiny cracks that are hard to reach with a washer.

Offline Chris V

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2019, 09:27:54 AM »
Hey Snoofer, I'd be concerned abit driving a Pirus on the salt, electric car and salt might have trouble :-(
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline Snoofer

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2019, 04:06:22 PM »
Well my plans changed but I did go on Tuesday. I didn?t bother with the baby oil so I can?t tell you how it works. I paid for the wash at the Sinclair station when I left. The Prius did fine but I was a little worried about bottoming out when going across the soft spots on the way to the starting line.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »
This is an old tip, but may be worth repeating.  When you get home from the flats, put a garden sprinkler under your car/truck/trailer as often as you can.  Either the whirly style, or the rainbow version will do a good job moistening things and loosening the salt up.  You will still have salt falling off of the vehicle in October.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline 07R1LSR

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 12:18:24 AM »
The sprinkler idea works great.  Gets water in all of the spots you normally cant see.  I ran one for 2 hrs last night and got most of the salt off..then crawled under with a pressure washer while laying on a creeper and got the rest

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
I've had the Salt "bless" my garage in April the year after, seems like there is always a place up in there that just won't give it up easily. :lol:
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder