Author Topic: Please tell me I didn't waste $1000 on illegal leathers  (Read 2535 times)

Offline drc42

Please tell me I didn't waste $1000 on illegal leathers
« on: July 30, 2019, 11:02:02 PM »
Earlier this year I dropped $1000 on a new Alpinestars missle suit.  My reasoning is I plan on eventually upgrading to the airbag system which this suit is designed to accept.  Also figured having a quality name brand suit is a good thing.

It has perforations on the chest.  Does that make them in violation of the "The use of stretchable Kevlar and perforated materials in non-critical areas are permissible."

I find this fairly confusing since it doesn't say what is not allowed and doesn't define what they mean as "non-critical areas".  Anybody know from experience if they have passed inspection with this (or similar) suit?

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Please tell me I didn't waste $1000 on illegal leathers
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 12:21:38 AM »
I think you will be OK. The rule does not say that perforations are not allowed on the chest area. In fact I have seen a lot of riders wearing perforated suits. This is for BMST. SCTA does not allow perforations on the main part of the suit.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 12:29:58 AM »
You're good to go at BMST. What they require is pretty much a standard suit for road racing. Just don't add any perfs to the butt...

Offline drc42

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 12:34:25 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply guys.  Have been kind of freaking out on this.  Would really hate to put in this much money and effort, take 2 weeks off work, drive 2000+ miles across the country just to be told I can't run!

Getting excited for my first time racing on the salt... not far off now!