Author Topic: The Art of Racing in the Rain - new film from old book  (Read 19045 times)

velocity

The Art of Racing in the Rain - new film from old book
« on: August 02, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »
NOTE: I attended the premiere of this film last night and found it to be well focused on the "why" instead of the "how" of racing.

The Art of Racing in the Rain

by "LandSpeed" Louise Ann Noeth

If you want tire screeching, big-screen heart-thumping race car battling go see something else. This ain't it.

What you?ll get from this film is a splendid, honest portrayal of Garth Stein?s book that explains - in the most believable way - precisely what motorized competition is all about. And it ain't sponsorship.

Here, direct from the thoughtful, passionate, discerning mind of a dog, the audience learns what it takes to be a winner on the race track. Any race track.

There is a refreshing lack of razzle bedazzle Hollywood crazy stunt driving. In fact, the many multimillion dollar race cars are merely respectful window dressing, allowing the more important aspect of the absorbing 109 minute story to be delivered one believable, welcome bit at a time. Frankly, anyone who ever earned a checkered flag will cheat themselves by NOT seeing this film. The rest will come away knowing their time was well spent. This is a story well told. 

There is no fidgeting, no boring bits, or eye-rolling stupidness. This film is an invitation into the head, heart and mind of the world?s top race car drivers.

Interestingly, most of the profound comments from Enzo the dog (voiced by Kevin Costner) come straight from real deal racer/instructor Don Kitch Jr who has driven the talk for decades. The guy understands lefty-righty grab the pedal almighty just like he understands how to breathe.

And about the storyline. . . Milo Ventimiglia plays Denny Swift, a determined, talented road racer who earns his living wage in a Seattle auto repair shop but drives for glory on the weekends seeking a chance join the professional ranks. He gets the girl, and another girl before all hell lets loose, but Swift never lifts thanks to Enzo.

Stein was sincerely influenced by a National Geographic show about dogs in Mongolia. Having spent extended time in the Steppes of Asia, that aspect of the tale resonated with me on several levels.

This film is a grand cinematic journey that you might just want to take more than once. I will.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:20:14 PM by velocity »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain - new film form old book
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 02:29:03 PM »
I read the book a few years ago (okay, I listened to the talking book version) and it was, indeed, a grand story.  I don't watch movies so probably won't see this one, but go ahead and at least read the book, folks.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Louise.  You going to the salt next week?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 03:04:21 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 04:53:53 PM »
I read the book a few years ago (okay, I listened to the talking book version) and it was, indeed, a grand story.  I don't watch movies so probably won't see this one, but go ahead and at least read the book, folks.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Louise.  You going to the salt next week?

That book should not be confused with "Racing In The Rain" by John Horsman, the story of his involvement with racing the Ford GT40 and the Porsche 917. It is a great book for sports car guys.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain - new film from old book
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 05:18:10 PM »
"The Art of Racing in the Rain" is a great book for anybody.  I'm sure it's a good movie, but it would have to be a great movie to be as good as this book.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
My dog loved this book! The main character was modeled after someone who raced at our local track. When I was working the scales, he asked me a question, and I told him, "Denny Swift would know that!"

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »
And the obvious question being...Where in the h-e double tooth picks did a part time racer come up w/ the $$$ for a `57 Ferrari Testa Rossa????
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
I don't know about this film. But yesterday I did watch the DVD "The Worlds Fastest".  About Jack Costella, Duane McKinney and Al Teague. It's not about cars. It's about three older Bonneville racers and how they are dealing with the rigors of age. It has really beautiful cinematography of the desert and the salt. You might be interested. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:27:07 PM by RichFox »

Offline jdincau

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
Where did you get it Rich? The worlds fastest, I mean.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »
The label says SpeedSeekers Moto Art Production. And erste liebe. And AVAKIA Studios. As well as Limited Special Edition--Not For Sale. Not to helpful. It is a Kick Starter funded project and I kicked in 75 Euros. I'm sure they are going to sell them. But that is all I know. Google is your friend  I guess