Author Topic: Engine block question?  (Read 8589 times)

Offline RacerX

• New folks
Engine block question?
« on: November 23, 2006, 10:35:19 PM »
Hello all!  I have been racing for thirty years in other venues and find myself a complete novice!!    :oops:    I hope you'll all be kind and friendly to a newbie.   :oops:   I've been running different ideas in my head for classes to come and run with you.  My question is if I want to use a tall deck block in a V-8 and I have to use an intake spacer/adapter to bolt the intake on, will this break rule 4-N  
 Definition for engine swap  "An engine swap is the replacement of the original engine with one of a design, which was not available as a factory option for the particular car in question.  The main factors used in determining design differences are cylinder head bolt pattern,INTAKE MANIFOLD BOLT PATTERN and bellhousing bolt pattern. "  
Again if I use a tall deck block for more stroke  (to make a class displacement break) and I need an adapter to make the intake fit,  Am I getting called on it??     :cry:    Thank you all!   Jim
I like to cut my butter with a chainsaw, why do you ask?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Engine block question?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 12:06:14 AM »
In my mind that is "not" an engine swap as the design is the same and the rules say "bore and stroke is not considered".

The items you mentioned can be used to determine if it is an engine sway, but that, in my mind, doesn't say they necessarily are used to determine if it is an engine sway.  

For instance if you take an early sbc block and put vortec heads on it you have to use a different intake manifold with a different bolt pattern, but I don't think this would constitute an engine swap if it was in a '57 chevy.  Now if you used a 350 LS-1 motor in the '57 I believe that would be a different motor even if it used the same bore spacing as the earlier sbc since nothing else is the same or interchangeable between the LS and earlier sbc's.

I'm not the one that would check you in impound though, so you had better get Dan's or JD's opinion on your plans.

c ya,

Sum

Offline RacerX

• New folks
Engine block question?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 04:17:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply!  I understand!.  I will check with Dan & J.D.!  How do I get ahold of them?    Jim

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
STANDBY
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 05:23:11 AM »
Quote from: RacerX
Thanks for the reply!  I understand!.  I will check with Dan & J.D.!  How do I get ahold of them?    Jim

They tend to hang out around here.
While their word is not set in stone, it represents a lot of experience and if
 it is beyond their scope they will steer you in the right direction promptly.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

Engine block question?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 10:41:16 AM »
RacerX,

The tall deck will not violate theenagine swap rule. As Sum wrote, a 350 is different than a 283 so it will be considered a swap, or sway as they say in Sum's area.

DW

Offline RichFox

Engine block question?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 01:53:41 PM »
I was recently talking to a Street Roadster competitor who had been running a 340 Dodge with a 360 crank. The thing became defunct and he had to buy replacement heads from MoPar. The new heads came with 18 bolts rather than the original 10. He called MoPar to ask what's the deal, and was told that's what is available now. So he had to buy a replacement block to fit the heads. Is this now an engine swap?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Engine block question?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 02:17:49 PM »
Quote from: dwarner
RacerX,

The tall deck will not violate the engine swap rule. As Sum wrote, a 350 is different than a 283 so it will be considered a swap, or sway as they say in Sum's area.

DW

Now I'm confused :? .  Are you saying if you pulled a 283 sbc and replaced it with a 350 sbc it "would be" an engine swap?

I was under the impression you could use a 400 sbc block in a '55 that came with a 265 since is was the same design and you could even use an aftermarket replacement block for the stock block that could take you over 454 cu. in. since it is still the same small block design and accepts all the small block accessories, heads , manifolds, etc..

Ok Dan I'm waiting to be "swayed" one way or the other here :roll:.

c ya,

Sum

Offline RacerX

• New folks
Engine block question?
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 05:59:11 PM »
Yeah   me too is confused???    I can understand an LS series small block Gen III which shares little with the classic SBC being a swap but what about later vortech heads that fit classic SBC.  This of course does change intake bolt pattern?  A no no according to 4-N  ???  
Tall deck, same heads, different intake gasket/spacers to bolt up original intake.    Hmmmmmm      :(      Jim

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
TELL US
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 06:36:41 PM »
Can you tell us what kind of car you are working with and the year ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline RichFox

Engine block question?
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
If we read the rule book we will find that replacing a 265 sbc with a 350sbc is specifically mentioned as not an "engine swap" You do have a rule book don't you?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
Engine block question?
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 07:39:31 PM »
Quote from: RichFox
If we read the rule book we will find that replacing a 265 sbc with a 350sbc is specifically mentioned as not an "engine swap" You do have a rule book don't you?

That is exactly why I was puzzled by Dan's reply.  I must be reading something into his reply that isn't there.

c ya,

Sum

Offline RacerX

• New folks
Engine block question?
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 11:04:30 PM »
Hi Dan and all!     The mystery deepens! :lol:   Jim

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
QUESTION ?
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 04:39:58 AM »
Quote from: RacerX
Hi Dan and all!     The mystery deepens! :lol:   Jim

What year and make of car are you dealing with ?
For example the same basic body shell might have been offered as a
 Chev., Olds., Pont,. and Buick.
Each specific year and make might have shared the same basic body but
the finish trim and motor options might not have included the Corporate Small Block V-8 you have.
Find a combination that never offered the SBC and make it one of those.
 With the appropriate fenders etc. and documentation , you have it.

Be sure and study at home because it is liable to be on the test.  :wink:

Offline RichFox

Engine block question?
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 09:40:29 AM »
I think Dan was hitting the turkey dressing while answering this question. The classic example is "A 350 in a '55 Chevy is not an engine swap. A 396 in a '55 Chevy would be an engine swap.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
MY WORD ?
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »
_ _ _ _  HAPPENS.
What is a four letter word for mistakes ?
Come on guys, i know you kmow it. :wink: