Author Topic: Simspeed UWD LSR Design Project  (Read 90136 times)

Offline tortoise

Re: Simspeed UWD LSR Design Project
« Reply #300 on: October 26, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »
A vacuum might be created just by the speed of the car and the inability of the surrounding air to refill the space underneath the car above an unknown "balance" speed.
Given a really long course, a sucker system would be perhaps superfluous. It would likely be useful to shorten the distance to speed.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #301 on: October 26, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
How about buying a used fighter plane, taking off from say Wendover, circling around until you're over the speed of sound, flying an inch or two off the salt, maybe touching here or there, making sure you activate the clocks, then looping back on a return run over the same mile and landing for the trophy presentation?

Are there any flaws in this concept?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tortoise

« Reply #302 on: October 26, 2019, 03:06:55 PM »
How about buying a used fighter plane, taking off from say Wendover, circling around until you're over the speed of sound, flying an inch or two off the salt, maybe touching here or there, making sure you activate the clocks, then looping back on a return run over the same mile and landing for the trophy presentation?

For safety's sake, maybe you should equip the plane with really long-travel landing gear, like 20 feet. A laser-controlled aerodynamic ride height system could be used. I can't find anything in the rules prohibiting this.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #303 on: October 26, 2019, 03:29:44 PM »
I've found a partner!

Too bad we're both too old to put it together on our computers.

(You got any money?)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 07:08:08 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #304 on: October 26, 2019, 04:13:37 PM »

I'd say your attitude mainly Stan...but no one said you have to take any of this seriously.  Make of it what you will and I'll respond accordingly.  Thanks... Terry

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #305 on: October 26, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »
A vacuum might be created just by the speed of the car and the inability of the surrounding air to refill the space underneath the car above an unknown "balance" speed.
Given a really long course, a sucker system would be perhaps superfluous. It would likely be useful to shorten the distance to speed.
That's the main idea I think Tortoise... Thanks, Terry.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #306 on: October 26, 2019, 04:19:24 PM »
Terry said:  "...but no one said you have to take any of this seriously."

Terry, Stan is being serious - for him.  You just gotta spend a few years on the salt with him to learn his style, k?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #307 on: October 26, 2019, 04:46:39 PM »
How many planes are capable of the speed of sound at low level with the landing gear down?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »
Well, I suppose all of 'em are if they're pointed straight down at the ground under full power,,, lol8
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #309 on: October 26, 2019, 06:21:17 PM »
I believe that this could be taken more seriously if there was some testing taking place rather than assumptions. Having experience both with the metal spraying process and running a race car on salt, I think you really need a real world understanding of your expected results. I would say the same thing about a sucker system. A simple box and fan could be utilized on salt to see if this is even something to consider. Let alone design around. Before Jack Costella builds cutting edge stuff he builds riding models and proves the plan. It seems to work quite well in practice.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #310 on: October 26, 2019, 07:10:33 PM »
We must remember that Mr. Costella's vehicles do not go thru the air -- they go under it.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2019, 01:00:47 AM »
Terry said:  "...but no one said you have to take any of this seriously."

Terry, Stan is being serious - for him.  You just gotta spend a few years on the salt with him to learn his style, k?
I understand Slim...thanks for the clarification.  No harm...no foul.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 01:06:57 AM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #312 on: October 27, 2019, 01:06:00 AM »
I believe that this could be taken more seriously if there was some testing taking place rather than assumptions. Having experience both with the metal spraying process and running a race car on salt, I think you really need a real world understanding of your expected results. I would say the same thing about a sucker system. A simple box and fan could be utilized on salt to see if this is even something to consider. Let alone design around. Before Jack Costella builds cutting edge stuff he builds riding models and proves the plan. It seems to work quite well in practice.
Rich...for now assumptions are all I can afford.  Pre-development testing should be standard for for all new ideas, and we have more than a few included in this design. We'll see what the new year brings.  Thanks... Terry.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #313 on: October 27, 2019, 02:23:10 AM »
Silly question, as I'm reading this without a lot of enthusiasm, but have you had any conversations with blue www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1554 ?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #314 on: October 27, 2019, 08:09:23 AM »
Silly question, as I'm reading this without a lot of enthusiasm, but have you had any conversations with blue www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1554 ?

Mike
Hi Mike,
No I haven't.  I don't believe Blue has commented on this design project.  Thanks for asking... Terry