Author Topic: Simspeed UWD LSR Design Project  (Read 89885 times)

Offline Simspeed

Simspeed UWD LSR Design Project
« on: July 22, 2019, 11:17:56 PM »
(The project design is now at V.6.1)

Hi Everyone? We?re transitioning the Aerodynamic Forum post http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=17667.0 Frontal Area / Cd Numbers to a LSR design project hosted here in the Build Diaries forum.  We?ve received great response from experienced and accomplished forum members for guidance and input to our ongoing attempt to design an unlimited wheel driven (UWD) streamliner.  V.6.1 has abandoned the IC powered electric gen/motor concept, and now proposes the use of a direct drive Liquid Piston 4 rotor IC engine for power.

In following posts we will outline the project build criteria, along with presentation of 3D drawings of the current Simspeed LSR V.6.1 design for member review and comments.  Our goal is to engage with those of you who have been down this road before, and have the records and experience you're willing to share with a rookie designer like myself.  V.6.1 has evolved here on the forum based on shared experience of numerous racers and we are highly in your debt for those contributions. 

We believe 600 mph is an obtainable wheel driven record; and our intention is to parent a consensus design developed here on the forum capable in theory of pushing the UWD envelope toward that record speed.  Hopefully, when a consensus on the project design has been reached by member vote, we can source funding and assemble a build team to make a record breaking effort.

As an LSR novice, albeit one with a drag racing background, I know my limitations are numerous.  There is much to be learned on my part, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to share my project goals with you and receive feedback from those willing to participate in this conceptual project.  Thanks again for those of you who have opened up with great suggestions and critiques, and thanks in advance for future involvement of forum members. God bless? Terry Peterson
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 01:24:20 AM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

Re: Simspeed UWD LSR Design Project
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 11:30:52 PM »
Simspeed UWD LSR V.5.5 Specifications

FIA Competition Class - Special Construction
    Unlimited Wheel Driven

Chassis Construction:
    2" Carbon Fiber Square Tubing w/ Bonded 3D Printed Titanium Connectors
    Carbon Fiber Brace Plating w/ Stainless Button Hex Fasteners
    2 Wheel FWD
    2 Solid Mount Trailing Wheels

Front Steering Differential
      Solid mount
      Front Wheel Drive
      2 Powered Wheels

Drive Wheel/Tires
    Machined Aluminum
    SlipNOT (tm) #2 Metal Sputter Coat Traction Surface

Body Construction:
    Molded Composite - Fiberglass
    Canopy
      Vacuum Formed Polycarbonate
      Aluminum Framework
    Vertical Tail Fin
      Molded Composite - Carbon Fiber

Propulsion:
    Internal Combustion Engine

Power Source
    Liquid Piston - 4 Rotors
        5.48 liters
        334.401 cu.in.
    Estimated Power Output - 1000 hp/rotor x 4 = 4000 hp
    Fuel
        Methanol

Power Adder:
    Nitrous Oxide
    160 lbs onboard   

Drive Train:
    Direct Drive Differential
    Quick Drive (tm) Torque Coupling
    4000 rpm Lock Up

Negative Pressure Downforce:
    Engine driven vacuum pump sucking air from skirted cavity beneath body floor pan.

Braking:
    Parachutes
        Vehicle (2)
        Driver Module(2)
    Dual Caliper Engine Brake

Dimensions:
    Driver's compartment:
        Width
            17.4" @ Shoulders
            17.4" @ Hips
        Length
            66.5" @ Seat back to foot well
        Max Driver Height
            6'2"      

Overall Dimensions:
    Vehicle Body:
        30' Length
        136" Wheel Base
        25"    Height @ Canopy to ground
        24"    Max Body Width
        Weight:  Estimated 3000/3500 lb

Frontal Area:
    3.97 sq.ft.

Coefficient of Drag: .09 estimated
Center of Gravity:  TBD
Center of Pressure:  TBD
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:39:00 PM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 11:35:00 PM »
The V.5.2 body is a sloped nose concept using ground skirts with active aero wing and fixed tail fins.  The parachute tail cone is hydraulically activated.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 11:38:57 PM »
The tail cone mechanism is actuated via a long center shaft screw fitted to a hydraulic ram cylinder forward mounted behind the rear drive wheels.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 11:40:59 PM »
The driver sits midship between the fore and aft IC/Gen powerplants and sights the run down a long window canopy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:56:17 AM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »
The chassis view shows the split power plants requiring no mechanical linkage to the electric wheel motors.  Nitrous oxide tanks and oil/fuel tanks are mounted along side each power plant with a forward weight bias for Cg ahead of the center mounted active anhedral wing.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 11:58:32 PM »
The anhedral wing articulates about a center pivot point welded a top the driver's cage and backbone of the chassis.  A hydraulic ram rotates the wing through a 15.4 degree range of motion providing aero downforce via angle of attack positioning.  The wing itself is based on a pure ellipse offering zero lift or downforce at zero angle of attack.  The anhedral wing shape and position is based on an Air Bus patent  http://www.flightstory.net/20120101/airbus-files-patent-for-downward-facing-winglet
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:58:48 AM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 12:03:56 AM »
Here is the hydraulic ram placement for the tail cone mechanism.  The idea will be to charge a hydraulic accumulator prior to each run for ram operation to open the tail cone and deploy the parachutes.

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 12:13:57 AM »
The front drive wheels, suspension and steering components are mounted on dual a-arms with forward mounted shock absorbers.  In the cut away drawing 5.2.19 we see the drive motors mounted to steering spindles hung on a common suspension knuckle with counter pivoting steering links running back to the vertical mounted 90 degree steering box.  The suspension knuckle could be machined from a solid billet or welded fabrication.

The opposing a-arms do change the caster angle a total of 2.2 degrees through the limited range of motion.  The caster angle is set at 13 degrees and I feel that 1.1 degrees either direction is not a deal breaker for the design.  I could be wrong of course so if anyone has a better handle on this please let us know.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:03:32 AM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 12:15:26 AM »
The front drive, suspension, and steering components shown in isolation.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »
Having just a bit of nitrous oxide experience, how would one sustain acceptable flow & pressure using that amount of nitrous over a 7 mile run?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 12:24:28 AM »
Having just a bit of nitrous oxide experience, how would one sustain acceptable flow & pressure using that amount of nitrous over a 7 mile run?

I could tell ya over a beer at Bonneville...... of course we only used it for 52-58 seconds..... I didn't see how much N20 Terry was planning to carry, I would guess a lot... 80-120 lbs would be required.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 12:28:44 AM »
The IC/Gen power plant is based on Mazda 13b rotors mounted in custom peripheral port housings shared with YASA P400 electric motor components.  Each single rotor/gen engine is mated to a matching rotor/gen engine to form a 2rotor/2gen assembly utilizing a common drive shaft.  Exhaust and intake housings are shared with a second 2rotor/2gen assembly to form a 4 rotor / 4 gen power plant.  Cooling for the power plants is shared internally in the common housings.  Both oil and fuel are cooled by Nitrous Oxide gases flowing through pressurized internal coils mounted inside on board tanks.  NOS used for cooling will be rerouted to IC engines as the dry gas power adder.  Wet systems will be incorporated for direct injection from onboard bottles.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 01:08:15 AM by Simspeed »

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 12:29:46 AM »
Tube chassis design

Offline Simspeed

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 12:35:23 AM »
I could tell ya over a beer at Bonneville...... of course we only used it for 52-58 seconds..... I didn't see how much N20 Terry was planning to carry, I would guess a lot... 80-120 lbs would be required.

Having shared a few beers with Stainless I can tell you I'll be relying heavily on his experience with N20 supercharging for the needed power this effort will take.  After our visit in Denver earlier this summer I could tell his success in setting records will N20 was the way to go for this project.  Thanks to you both... Terry