Author Topic: July 2019 meet  (Read 3252 times)

Offline jdincau

July 2019 meet
« on: July 10, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
From the SCTA Facebook page:

Due to the stress cracks on the El Mirage Lakebed, the SCTA President Bill Lattin has deemed the lakebed unsafe to race on and has cancelled the July Meet.
 There will be a work party July 20th and 21st from 5:30am-2:00pm - so bring water, lunch, shade and a shovel and help fix the lakebed 🙂 More information will be emailed out to the club presidents and reps to forward on to the club memebers.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
Re: July 2019 meet
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:01:14 PM »
I don't understand Bill's assessment at all. I visited the lake just a few weeks ago, and there simply were not that many cracks remaining. Surely a few day laborers from the local Home Depot parking lot could knock out the remaining work in a couple of weeks.

Something isn't right with it taking this long. Where does the repair equipment come from? How much is being spent? Who provides the funds? Has anyone approached Edwards AFB? Isn't ElMo their backup landing strip?

To do this with volunteer labor is not wise. Many of us (myself included) are unable to perform manual labor of this rigor. We need help and all it takes is $ spent properly. I'd be more than willing to be part of a group effort to fund sufficient labor to 'get er done'.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
Your club should be updating you on the problem as it's being discussed at every SCTA board meeting. It's not just bodies it's the BLM & the requirements they impose on "How" the ruts, "fissures" MUST be repaired.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »
I don't think that anyone wanted a July meet more than Bill Lattin.  I believe he did everything he could to have one.  I'd think he's more disappointed than anyone else.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 05:38:29 PM »
I don't think that anyone wanted a July meet more than Bill Lattin.  I believe he did everything he could to have one.  I'd think he's more disappointed than anyone else.

..............................^...........................................
This.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 05:57:08 PM »
If the SCTA President said El Mirage was not ready, why do we have people questioning his decision? He is responsible for everyone's safety. I understand
people not being happy, but the life he saved may have been yours. Luckily we
won't have to find out.

Tom G. 
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline aircap

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 12:29:38 AM »
Could the recent earthquake have made the surface worse?
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince