Author Topic: Nice Hot Rod article about Al Teague  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline aircap

Re: Nice Hot Rod article about Al Teague
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 12:10:59 AM »
He's one of mine, too. Al is an awesome possum, for sure!
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 12:32:45 AM »
Great read, well done.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 10:02:32 AM »
Wow, excellent article, thanks for posting.   :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 12:08:02 PM »
Here's the best photo I ever took (well, I'm no photographer).  It's probably 1972 at El Mirage.  I gave Al an 8x10 the next month.  And some crew members wanted some, so I had them printed.  It's shown up in various publications, including Rodders Journal 2-page spread, from whom I don't know.  I used it on the cover of the 2016 SpeedWeek Program as there was no SpeedWeek the previous year (got some shitt for that).  If anyone wants a good copy of this, p.m. me and I'll send you one.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »
Nice picture, Stan. What was going on when you took that photo?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 02:04:24 PM »
Approaching the start line after taking the warm up loop option at El Mirage

Sorry my net people skills are a little lacking, I should have waited for Stan to buzz in.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:03:33 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 03:00:24 PM »
I've seen that picture in several different places. Well done Stan.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »
Jim's right.  Years back, it was difficult to start a supercharged fuel engine off the starter.  The dragsters (if I remember correctly) all were push started ? which to me, added to the show.  And the Sadd, Teague & Bentley fuel roadster didn't need much to add to the show ? they were the show.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 10:58:02 AM »
We were still push starting Betsy (liner) up until 1990 when somebody donated a chain drive blower-starter, we felt we were way uptown then! Before that it was take it off the stands, push it out of the pits, clutch it, check it & time it, back to the pit to jack it up again to put the body panels on then get it back down to push it to the line. & the oldies will remember how long those one course lines used to be. :x By the time we'd get to run the engine was stone cold & we even banged the blower a couple of times.
Some times back then. Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »
Mike (or anyone else) ? send me a P.M. with your email address and I'll send you a large digital file of the picture.

Offline salt27

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
We were still push starting Betsy (liner) up until 1990 when somebody donated a chain drive blower-starter, we felt we were way uptown then! Before that it was take it off the stands, push it out of the pits, clutch it, check it & time it, back to the pit to jack it up again to put the body panels on then get it back down to push it to the line. & the oldies will remember how long those one course lines used to be. :x By the time we'd get to run the engine was stone cold & we even banged the blower a couple of times.
Some times back then. Sid.

I remember when that blower starters hot terminal fiber washer failed and shorted things out.
My 35mm film cannester lid got a hole punched in it and became it's replacement.   :cheers:

Don

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »
LOL, I remember that woops moment Mate! :-o
  Sid.