Author Topic: French Flathead  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
French Flathead
« on: June 29, 2019, 10:39:15 PM »
OK guys, my next door neighbor is looking for a flathead motor he can build up to put in a hotrod he  is  planning.  He has a couple of motors sitting in the shop, but  he has read some stuff about the French Flathead and thinks one of those would work better than one of the old ones he has. 
Anybody have one they want  to part with...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: French Flathead
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 11:37:01 PM »
Like in an early-fifties Vedette? Even smaller than a Ford 60 I think- maybe 139 c.i.? If I ever ran out of other projects I'd build a 3/4 scale street rod with one of those engines.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 11:56:13 PM »
OK guys, my next door neighbor is looking for a flathead motor he can build up to put in a hotrod he  is  planning.  He has a couple of motors sitting in the shop, but  he has read some stuff about the French Flathead and thinks one of those would work better than one of the old ones he has. 
Anybody have one they want  to part with...  :cheers:

Bob,

Contact Ed Pink.    His latest Ford Flathead repops have been using blocks produced in France, sometime in the 1950's.    NO idea about the availability, supply or cost.   But according to the recent article in Race Engine Technology, the French blocks are new old stock, and don't have the corrosion problems of old used Ford USA produced parts.   He has sold Ed Pink Racing Engines and now has a separate facility somewhere in So Cal.    I'm sure some SCTA guys have his contact info.

Water jacket corrosion/erosion is a HUGE issue for the early 1960's English Ford 4 cylinder engines I used to specialize in.    The cylinders would "pinhole" into the water jacket when going as little as .060" overbore, thereby requiring installation of sleeves in some or all cylinders.    Expensive and time consuming.     Not to mention some blocks were just "unusable".

:cheers:
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 12:01:01 AM »
Bob,

Also see about the Ed Pink repop engine in an LSR thread I posted:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=17717.msg323303#msg323303

:dhorse:

Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 09:54:36 PM »

Stainless

So Cal Sacramento has been the source for the French Flathead blocks. Also in California Vern Tardel has them .

Ronnieroadster
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:58:38 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"