Author Topic: Blower restraints  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Billy @ AHG

Blower restraints
« on: June 14, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »
I have searched the forum to see if this has been addressed, I cannot find a response to this topic. So, here goes , Page 52 of the 2019  rule book, section 3-X  ," SFI TYPE blower restraints shall be used on all vehicles using positive displacement Blowers" OK, that's fine , but since no mention of SFI spec numbers are given ,It seems to leave open another Gray area.  So , can I build something in my shop that resembles a SFI type system and be legal to run ?

I have done my Homework and found a good picture of a SFI Rated system in a drag racing catalog.

Thanks .
Salt Junkie

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: Blower restraints
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 07:57:03 PM »
How would you validate the strength of the components, not the quality of your work or the size of the fasteners (absent lab tests)?
Dind't they start with seat belts?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 11:23:43 PM »
Well none of it matters if you blow it off down track... only at the start line.  My suggestion is the one you see here all the time, tell the tech chair in your class what you are planning and heed his advise.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
And then reduce his comments to text and send it to tech.

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 06:48:14 PM »
Thanks guys , appreciate the input , still trying to wrap my head around it . Got some ideas as to how to simplify this . 
Salt Junkie

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »
Many have made their own since all types are used and so many different engines. Many have been adapted from the typical NHRA type either with shortened or lengthened straps. I have inspected these in the past where the competitor has gone to an upholstry shop that could sew seat belt material and they were acceptable. If you currently have hardware and know what you want, I would contact DJ Safety (from our rulebook) and I'm sure they can help you...The words SFI TYPE will dictate what you do and how they should look.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:14:08 PM »
 Thanks again for the suggestions . My idea is a pair of stainless cables , built  by a creditable shop , laying across the front and rear of the blower , secured to head bolts . I have been told this will work . 
Salt Junkie

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:20:32 PM »
Here's an up date on the restraint question . I sent a e-mail to Kiwi Steve, and he was kind enough to reply almost instantly , with a suggestion to use axle limiting straps , like the 4x4 guys use to control shock absorber travel .  Perfect !  got them at a local shop and reasonably priced , Thanks Steve .  :cheers:
Salt Junkie