Author Topic: Tubes in Frontrunners?  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Camaro2191

• New folks
  • Lane Wiggers
Tubes in Frontrunners?
« on: June 01, 2019, 08:34:33 AM »
I’ve been building my car for the last 4 years or so.  I’ve been to ECTA events, but this will be the first time at Bville and the SCTA/BNI rulebook.  I was going through the rule book one more time with a fine toothed comb and stumbled upon Rule 2.F regarding tubes.

I’m running a 3rd gen Camaro in C/Gas Coupe – record is in the 240MPH range.

I’m running a fully welded steel wheel with Goodyear 1964 and 1966 frontrunners.  I currently have it set up without tube (steel stem and cap).  I called Shelby in Las Vegas and they suggested that I not use a tube but the tire does not say tubeless.  Is a tube required for the SCTA/BNI rules (the language says “except for racing tires expressly designed for use without tubes”)?  If not, is there any benefit to adding a tube? I don’t have any issues with leakdown. It seems like if something were to puncture the tire carcass, a tube isn’t going to add any meaningful safety factor.  Any thoughts?

1989 Camaro - URGENTLY - B/GC and C/GC
Arkansas Mile and Bonneville
No records yet...but I am trying

Offline saltracer1

Re: Tubes in Frontrunners?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 01:44:47 PM »
I currently run tubeless front runners and have passed tech three times. Now my car is less than 200mph car, but I don't think that matters. Phil

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »
Not positive at 240 but Al Teague told me his tubes moved out into the tire and off the rims at 350-380. I use tubes in mine and purchase motorcycle ones with the metal stems. They have center and off-center stems. Make sure they are not old. When I buy new ones I remove them from the box, check for cracking, and inflate them.

The reason I run tubes in my GY's is they leak thru the side wall...Everyone of them has done this. With certain rims i use it was hard to install tubes but I've figured a way to install them.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:54:39 PM by jimmy six »
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
I would run tubeless... especially since Goodyear suggests it.... it is surprising how much friction can be generated inside a tubed tire.... High pressure and lots of talc will minimize the heat if you decide to go that way. 
Talc from California causes cancer so be careful  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »
I mis-read that, Stainless, and was laughing for a while.  I thought you said:

"TALK from California causes cancer."

I knew them Californions were weird about cancer causing stuff, but that woulda proved it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »
SSS: THAT'S some funny s**t right there! :-D :-D

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 12:27:25 AM »
SSS, TALK from California can be hazardous to your health too, especially when it comes from Sacto.

John