Author Topic: Ed Pink builds replica of LSR Flathead Ford  (Read 5951 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Ed Pink builds replica of LSR Flathead Ford
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 06:52:16 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 08:46:27 PM »
But the replica head is completely different from an actual Briggs head - no transfer area, no quench, the charge delivery to the bore and flame front look nothing like the inside of a Ford or H-D.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 11:17:22 PM »
But it does look like fun!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 12:22:25 AM »
But the replica head is completely different from an actual Briggs head - no transfer area, no quench, the charge delivery to the bore and flame front look nothing like the inside of a Ford or H-D.

The youtuber is a high-speed video guy, not a car guy.  :-D  Wonder how much one of those cameras cost?   :mrgreen:

I wonder if Stan Back can view this video with his steam-powered computer strangely named after a winter coat?  :evil:

Mike
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:24:19 AM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 08:54:15 AM »
The announced purpose of the video was to show how combustion occurs inside a flathead engine.
It doesn't do that, and I don't think he understands.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »
Interesting to watch the flow of the alcohol, which was mostly fluid, as it goes over the exhaust valve. Looks like sinking the exhaust valve a little would help. Flat heads are a real conundrum, to get compression you reduce the transfer area and vise versa.Some of the things that have been done with flatheads it looks like transfer area is the thing to chase. I have seen them with counter bores in the head above the inlet valve to let the valve open  farther and then more cam timing is used to keep the valve in the pocket and out of the way of the inlet flow. I think that HD actually canted the valves away from the cylinder to increase flow.

Pink is pretty gutsy to turn 5500 with a three main crank, but with the French block and a good billet crank it must be possible.

Rex 
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2019, 10:12:52 PM »
Interesting to watch the flow of the alcohol, which was mostly fluid, as it goes over the exhaust valve. Looks like sinking the exhaust valve a little would help. Flat heads are a real conundrum, to get compression you reduce the transfer area and vise versa.Some of the things that have been done with flatheads it looks like transfer area is the thing to chase. I have seen them with counter bores in the head above the inlet valve to let the valve open  farther and then more cam timing is used to keep the valve in the pocket and out of the way of the inlet flow. I think that HD actually canted the valves away from the cylinder to increase flow.

Pink is pretty gutsy to turn 5500 with a three main crank, but with the French block and a good billet crank it must be possible.

Rex 

Theres still a number of pretty gutsy Ford flathead racers turning well north of 6 grand each year with three main bearings at Speedweek. A good steel crank works wonders for strength and reliability.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 01:25:25 AM »
During my couple decades of mini-rod pulling, we often shared the track with modified garden pullers. I got intrigued with cylinder filling of flatheads. A few of my billet heads are doing well- for example, one Kohler 16 HP-based engine on alcohol is making just over 100 HP. But I'm sworn to secrecy on the details... :wink:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 03:11:21 PM »
During my couple decades of mini-rod pulling, we often shared the track with modified garden pullers. I got intrigued with cylinder filling of flatheads. A few of my billet heads are doing well- for example, one Kohler 16 HP-based engine on alcohol is making just over 100 HP. But I'm sworn to secrecy on the details... :wink:

Not surprised with that results Jack keeping up on the junior dragster and pulling single cylinder flathead engines designs has shown many the possibility.  From my personal experience just on gasoline we see easily 2HP per cube out of the old Ford flathead V-8 platform but this is the 21st century so anything is possible all it takes is a whole lot of time and experimentation. How we do it is of course sworn to secrecy.  Whats being done today can be had for a price. One of my all time heroes Bob Glidden who once offered his all concurring Hemi Ford pro stock engine for sale when he was dominating those GM big blocks for a million dollars all it takes is money no one went for that but it was once offered the same can be had for the flatheads of today just saying.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"