Author Topic: CB recommendations  (Read 1735 times)

Offline 2704

• New folks
CB recommendations
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:18:40 AM »
The rules say you have to have a CB.  I have one.  It works great if you are close enough to talk to the guy without a radio.  But I'm not convinced that I can be heard reliably when sitting patrol at the back door at El Mirage.  So, what's the hot set up?  What wattage is enough and what kind of range should I expect?  And I'm sure the antenna is important.  What do you recommend.  And for anyone else shopping, the cheap stuff from Walmart apparently won't cut the mustard.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:00:08 AM by 2704 »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: CB recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 08:07:51 AM »
Here's what works at Bonneville -- and I should think EM would be easier since distances are shorter.

Go to a big truck stop and buy a $50 CB and an antenna* for another $25 or whatever.  Most brands are okay - don't worry about which is "best".  4 watts output is standard - buy it.  No batteries -- hook it directly to the 12V of the car, whether by cigarette lighter or hard wired to the system.  Don't Try A Handheld Radio - It Probably Won't Work Well Enough!!!!!!!!!

Get a magnet-mount antenna for the roof of your vehicle and put it on the roof. 

*The longer the antenna the better - but even the little ones, about a foot and a half long, should work.  Don't try a "rubber duckie"-type antenna - it probably won't work well enough.

DON'T SIT ON THE MICROPHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »
A Wally World CB will work... You might need to look at your Antenna and SWR... Placing your antenna in the center of the roof helps give an even ground plane, and thus a less directional broadcast and receive. 
Don't worry... all of us have CB issues at times...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Happy Pappy

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 02:17:32 PM »
These worked just fine for me. I think monies spent on the antenna is were you will get your gains.
I liked this radio because it has a small footprint.

Uniden PRO505XL 40-Channel CB Radio.
Sirio Turbo 5000 PL 10m & CB Mobile Antenna
Both on Amazon.

Look for Ron at El Mirage. He is located in that well used motor home :-) behind the starters stand. He has one of those meters and can help you trim out the antenna.(Good Guy).
I also have a hand held, mostly for walking around and as a back-up.

Chris
Chris Campbell
2017 #203 G/GR El mirage record 150.771
2020 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 180.828
6/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 185.488
9/21 #62 C/AIR El Mirage record 194.450

Offline asaltvehicle

• New folks
  • C/FMP
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »
I just installed a President Bill C.B. In my pickup, it’s a very small package, it has a heat sink so the size really isn’t an issue, I’ve had really good luck with the Firestick brand antennas, they have an easy to tune top that just threads in or out to tune, Make sure to tune the antenna it really makes the difference on range, SWR meters are inexpensive and easy to use, I purchased everything online from C.B. World
You can never have too much Horsepower...or Ammunition!