Author Topic: Speed rating for GoPro suction cup mount?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Paul P

Speed rating for GoPro suction cup mount?
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »
I know a lot of GoPro cameras are used on LSR cars.  So has anyone had a problem with the suction cup mount coming off at speed?  How fast can you go and not worry that the camera will tumble down the course?  I expect to reach 200+ mph and I don't want to be dropping GoPros on the course.  I have never seen this subject addressed.

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Re: Speed rating for GoPro suction cup mount?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 03:04:00 PM »
Somebody really needs to make a smaller aerodynamic camera like the ones that Replay used to make.
Go pros are so freaking big.

Rob Freyvogel
AA/BFS
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 03:08:03 PM »
No rule against it but all the camera mounts I've seen at El Mirage & Bonneville are clamp mounts.
Let's think about this. If it did fall off, and a 400 mph streamliner ran behind you, hit it, failed a tire and crashed. I wouldn't want that on my chest.
The SCTA has enough problems with Dzus buttons that fall out and cause issues.
Just my thoughts.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »
No rule against it but all the camera mounts I've seen at El Mirage & Bonneville are clamp mounts.
Let's think about this. If it did fall off, and a 400 mph streamliner ran behind you, hit it, failed a tire and crashed. I wouldn't want that on my chest.
Just my thoughts.

I agree, someone would need to calculate the aero loads put on that camera and simulate it plus safety margin to be sure it does not come off during a run. It is a serious issue.

Rob Freyvogel
AA/BFS
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Paul P

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 03:22:05 PM »
Just my thoughts.

I have watched lots of YouTube videos showing GoPro's using the suction cups.  First time I saw that I wondered how safe that could be.  Looks like GoPro says they are good to 150 mph.  I am going to play it safe an go with a rigid mount but I wanted to see what experience others have had.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 04:32:21 PM »
Smart move, Paul.

There is one advantage to the suction cup mount in that they do help minimize vibration, but I'm certain you should be able to come up with some isolation technique, if vibration is an issue.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »
A friend of mine using Rasberry Pie (RP) electronics, showed me a neat little camera that plugs into a RP board. This camera is about the size of an old half dollar coin with decent resolution. Not very expensive either. I plan on having two mounted on my car, one in front and one in back. The one in front will be under the canopy. Mostly, I want to see how the car is handling. Sometimes, the driver says one thing and the camera something different.

John

Offline deepindebt

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »
We use one suction and one cage mount,we tether the suction mount just in case,no issues yet(213mph)
327,B/GR

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 09:28:23 PM »
As a guy that has run lots and lots of Go Pros on land speed vehicles, (from door slammers to streamliners) I can tell you what I have done.  I have used the suction mount and then I have ALWAYS run strips of gaff tape along the base to secure it to the vehicle.  It had worked extremely well!!

What ever you do go to GREAT lengths and then 'over do it' to ensure that the camera is secured!!!!

Don't be the knuckle head who drops their camera and causes and incident on the race track.  There's absolutely no reason for a camera to fall off a vehicle.

RCKirby

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »
At BMST you have to have a leash to attach the camera to the bike as backup to whatever mount you use. Cheap insurance. Rookies are told the most common debris to shut down the course is GoPros. FWIW I used a GoPro on a handlebar mounted ball mount and a Samsung Gear 360 on fixed a handlebar clamp mount last year. The brick shaped GoPro tipped back the ball mount and lost the shot at about 70mph. The more aero Gear360 worked just fine all the way up to the screaming 90 mph I hit and it will be the camera I use this year.

Offline Paul P

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 08:48:18 AM »
We use one suction and one cage mount,we tether the suction mount just in case,no issues yet(213mph)

Wow.  I am surprised the suction cup holds at that speed. 

Offline tf737sb

• #77 A/BFS J&S Racing
  • New folks
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
What does everyone think of the adhesive mounts for GoPro? If applied properly, the 3M VHB sticky is ridiculously strong. Obviously we want to double up and use a tether as well. I've rag-dolled on dirt bikes with adhesive helmet mounts, and the camera mount broke before the adhesive let loose.
I'm looking for a steadfast solution for our 'liner. I have a Hero 7, and the video quality is great- but mounting, aero, yatta yatta. We used a roll bar mount on the #44's wing strut, and of course that worked fine, but aside from inside the cockpit (directly in driver's view), all I've got is body panels on the new car. Any thoughts?

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
I know a lot of GoPro cameras are used on LSR cars.  So has anyone had a problem with the suction cup mount coming off at speed?  How fast can you go and not worry that the camera will tumble down the course?  I expect to reach 200+ mph and I don't want to be dropping GoPros on the course.  I have never seen this subject addressed.

I found a hack for the Hero 2 the make a cord that plugs into the bus port with three buttons and LEDs on my dash for three cameras. Set the Gopro to one button start/stop. Press the button on the starting line and go. With the remote cord I mounted behind a Plexi cover. The Hero 2s are around $40 on ebay.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/goprouser/gopro-hero2-composite-video-out-thru-bus-connector-t7533.html?sid=7093a669ceb3fcfb218342cc812d3379

Just another idea.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 08:37:16 PM »
Re: Hero 2 for $40 on eBay;

Early GoPro cameras are notorious for locking up and not being able to recover. Check the internet forums. I have one that is locked up and nothing can get it working again.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ