Author Topic: Salt looks like it is drying - You going?  (Read 28486 times)

Offline DallasV

Re: Salt looks like it is drying - You going?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
I'm curious....
how deep do they usually flood it? 
First question is who is they? Mother Nature does the vast majority of the flooding with rain and snow melt. This year is huge for flooding, I just saw on the news this is the second wettest spring in Utah recorded history. A very very very small amount of flooding is done by Intrepid Chemical in an "attempt" to put back some of the NaCl that has been extracted over the last 7 decades. I do wish that flooding was more of a factor than it is. But again the biggest factor is Mother Nature and wind. The deepest I can remember is in the 2'-2.5' area at the end of the road.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 12:34:43 PM »
"They" don't flood it. Rain does. Usually a few inches.

Offline gowing

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 12:42:23 PM »
interesting.
I always thought that intrepid flooded it with their brine and had control of the depth.

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 03:42:45 PM »
The weather guesser says sunny days are here

🎉🎉😁
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 08:33:08 AM »
interesting.
I always thought that intrepid flooded it with their brine and had control of the depth.

You are correct, there is a pumping program where they flood it to remove the salt. If that had already happened before this Oregon weather pattern decided to hang out here for the last two weeks, they will get a second shot at more salt.
  Sid.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 02:12:35 PM »
  Sid, being a tax evading Oregonian living in Washington I take humbrige to Your accusations .   I have contacted a friend (who happens to be a Umatilla Indian) and He said He would be happy to do a "big time" snow dance and have it dumped in Your driveway.  I am seeking donations to cover the cost of Beer, possible bail, and if all else fails...delivery of a truck load of snow to your address.  Please... cash only.
                                                                                  "One Run", out............................................................
Bob Drury

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
He won't come down here when he learns I live in Bannock county, they ate his ancestors. :evil:
  Sid.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 10:54:02 PM »
interesting.

You are correct, there is a pumping program where they flood it to remove the salt. If that had already happened before this Oregon weather pattern decided to hang out here for the last two weeks, they will get a second shot at more salt.
  Sid.
I was under the impression that the pumping is to return salt to the surface. I seem to remember kots of times the salt was under water before the salt pumping started.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 11:23:59 PM »
   Sid,  I think the Mormon Tribe shot em' first... :-P :-P :-P :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 01:32:51 AM »
interesting.

Sid.
I was under the impression that the pumping is to return salt to the surface. I seem to remember kots of times the salt was under water before the salt pumping started.
That was the premise behind the pumping program when it first got started Rich but not the reality unfortunately. The salt has continued to leave the north side of the freeway(Bonneville) & go to the south side (Potash Mine), it's called slurry mining & the pumping has allowed them to better control that process to their advantage. The rain water & or pump water goes in there, dilutes the salt then it goes down the drains & via the return pumps back to the plant.
 If there were no drains or return pumps out of the flats, the brine water being pumped back in could stay there to evaporate & build crust thickness but that's not happening.
 Again, this is called SLURRY MINING. :dhorse:
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »
Slurry Mining.... strip mining.... same thing  :cry:  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
interesting.

Sid.
I was under the impression that the pumping is to return salt to the surface. I seem to remember lots of times the salt was under water before the salt pumping started.
So you are saying that the salt pumping is resulting in a net loss of salt on the race surface?
That was the premise behind the pumping program when it first got started Rich but not the reality unfortunately. The salt has continued to leave the north side of the freeway(Bonneville) & go to the south side (Potash Mine), it's called slurry mining & the pumping has allowed them to better control that process to their advantage. The rain water & or pump water goes in there, dilutes the salt then it goes down the drains & via the return pumps back to the plant.
 If there were no drains or return pumps out of the flats, the brine water being pumped back in could stay there to evaporate & build crust thickness but that's not happening.
 Again, this is called SLURRY MINING. :dhorse:
  Sid.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »
So you are saying that the salt pumping is resulting in a net loss of salt on the race surface? Greater than what was occurring before the salt pumping.

Offline maj

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2019, 04:44:42 PM »
Yep,
no amount of pumping onto the salt will help in the long term unless it evaporates and deposits salt

Compared to Lk Gairdiner i could not believe how fast the water disappeared at Bonneville after a rain or a winter
days compared to weeks here

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
A report from a friend in Wendover suggests the amount of water on the track now is just about the same as this time last year. And we had good salt last year as we all know. Too many factors in play year to year.  Sure it would be nice if all we saw was smooth dry thick salt year after year but that's not gonna happen of course.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019