Author Topic: Forum rebuild beginning 3 June '19  (Read 42983 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Forum rebuild beginning 3 June '19
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:48:20 AM »
Here's a note that Bob Clancy just sent.  Please be ready for stuff to be funky and also be ready to let us know if you're having issues.

Bob said:  "Thinking, Forum rebuild starting 6/3.  All the prep work the week before.  I plan on hanging around all the week of the 3rd, for glitches, and to find and re-install add-ons.  Right now, I don't know what people like or use.

Major job, gotta take extreme care and make everything redundant/reversible as much as possible."

Hold on tight!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
Re: Forum rebuild beginning 3 June '19
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
Hopefully, it won't be a whole lot different.  Will go down that Monday, backed up, then restored to the new software (same stuff but the latest version).  That shouldn't take all that long, figure a day.  We'll see.
BtWE
Web Elf

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »
Bob also told me:

"Be warned it's gonna take some time/hours/$.  No cuttin' corners."

Be prepared to NOT try and send notes to him or me saying that the danged thing is broken. We'll know it!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:58:33 PM »
 You have this old Hot Rod you've been driving forever, the key is on the dash, the starter button is right next to it, there are enough gauges & a few switches to make $hit work. Then somebody says, you need to up-date your system!
So after all the new whizbangery is done you park your old bones in the same comfy old seat & .......WTF!! :?
There's this "thing" from another time & dimension looking at you & now you need to learn a new language to start that old Hot Rod. So you decide to call Wiz for some help but it goes straight to voicemail. Well, I'll send him a text message rather that wait for all that intro BS that we don't need to listen to every time cuz nobody checks their voicemail. Then you hit send & the fire sprinkler in the garage goes off & the windshield wipers start working automatically & the headlights come on & you're thinking, I gotta get outa here but there's no door handle any more & what the f..k happened to the window winder! Being old skool you're packing a Leatherman titanium so you whip it out & go for the gnarly wood saw thing & jam it in the side of the window. It shatters but the stick-on tint is keeping it together so you beat it to death with your elbow then realize you can't fit through there because it's a 5 window with a 4" chop!
Right then your 5 year old granddaughter comes out of the house with a smart phone surgically attached to her left hand & shuts everything off then say's "what r ya dooin?"
 Progress, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
  Sid.

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 01:35:11 PM »
Love the analogy!  That's the way I feel about new cars, my CRX is a '91, truck a '74, tractor a '48.  I feel like that about software too, and use ancient versions to do my work.

Problem is.... the forum relies on PHP, which gets 'upgraded' and older versions get unsupported, and eventually removed from the server.  Out of our control. This upgrade is totally driven by that.  The host (1and1) is currently supporting the older PHP versions... for a cost, and for a while.  Eventually, they'll go away, then the Forum would die a horrible death.  So this is a gotta-do-it thing.  Like something is going south on your car, and you know it, and have warning.... do you fixum now?  Or wait until something really gets destroyed?    :-o

BtWE
Web Elf

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 01:55:22 PM »
My business has a tech support forum using SMF and we are going through exactly the same thing right now. In fact we had a crash yesterday from an auto update that didn't like our out of date forum version. I can say from experience that Bob and Jon are not doing this just to Plymouth you guys off. You would be way more pissed off if they didn't update!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:58:03 PM by Doc B. »

Offline Podunk

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
BtWE,
When you are done updating this site can you do the one between my ears?
Podunk

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 08:45:56 AM »
BtWE,
When you are done updating this site can you do the one between my ears?
Podunk
Won't work in a vacuum Terry!  :-o :-D
Couldn't let that one pass wheel man!  :cheers:
Regarding the other comments - now you know why the restore point was devised!  :dhorse:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 01:39:51 AM »
Thanks for the "early warning" Slim!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »
If you received as many notes, emails, texts and calls as I do when the site/Forum gets farkled -- you'd post a note well in advance and keep talking about it so everyone knows.

This method oughta reduce the number of those contacts by at least 10%. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 09:20:53 AM »
Yah- you oughta post this in every thread on the board. Might get another 5% drop...... :wink: :wink: :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 10:04:56 AM »
Or maybe post something on the home page as well as when forum is clicked it goes to a message that says update in progress, coming back as soon as possible  :-D
Keep up the good work BTWE  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »
Hey Bob, you have to get the forum back up by the 6th... no one wants to miss Stupid Joke Friday  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 08:54:17 AM »
Didja ever wonder about the high-tech discussions that Bob Clancy sends my way about thewebsiteand Forum maintenance?  Here's one he sent yesterday about the upcoming re-do:

"Yo,

Spent all frikkin day yesterday getting *my* shit in order, upgraded the MRider forum (exactly the same as LR except teeny) and figured out what works.  My original plan, I found out, wouldn't work. (Do a new install of the latest version, then import the old database..... have to do an in-place 'upgrade' instead, as it modifies the database too). VERY thankful for that MRider forum.  Also upgraded my gallery (Coppermine, same as LR).  Now I'm all off the "extended PHP support". 

Have a good plan, ready for Monday.  Going to duplicate the forum then upgrade that version, leaving the original intact.  If it's all well and good, then blow away the original, after all the boys and girls check it over.

Onward,
B
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bobc

• Administrator
    • South Mt. Web Design
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
Well, we're baaaaack..... but not done.  After a zillion tries and fails, it looks like the bottom line is the database is too big for the host.  

So I'm going to scratch my head a bit and figure some way around it.  I'm thinking next Monday morning, I should be ready to try again.  Probably break it apart into Current Topics and Archives... like Speedweek 2013 isn't getting a lot of activity. :-D

Thank you all for your patience, and it'll be up for Stupid Joke Friday!

BtWE
Web Elf