Author Topic: Is BMST with no crew doable?  (Read 7009 times)

Offline DRW

Re: Is BMST with no crew doable?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 12:41:41 AM »
Ive NEVER Used Stakes , An touch the salt,  Haha,Not me, We use 10lb bar bell weights, Zip Tied to
The bottom of our EZ-Up , One second to set up half a second to cut off ...
And On the Spf, Dont forget The salt is white, U get burnt from the ground up .
And Also I always bring a tarp, Bought a Canvas one Maybe 12 x 12 lay that down first to cover the salt,
And the Dehydration thing,Whew, Maybe its also because all day you can taste salt , ,   
One last thing, Ask ??  Dont just get in a line, Ask to be sure where you are , My first run ever ,Thought I was getting in line for RWB, Nope, The Gas Line for fuel.
Have Fun
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 07:13:22 AM »
We use 1/4" lag bolts hammer-drilled into the salt.  Gravity has proven itself to be less than enough to hold things down in the wind too dang many times to trust it.  We also not only take the "tarp" off the EZ UP frame, we take the frame down.  Want our reason?

Look in the big garbage rolloffs the day after a big blow on the salt and see if you can count the number of bent/farkled aluminum EZ UP frames. . .  I run out of fingers and toes. . . :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline drc42

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 10:21:05 AM »
Heh, I know what you mean about EZUP's blowing away.  I once rolled back in to camp after a long dirt bike ride and noticing how some poor sucker lost his ezup.  Got to my van to find I was the poor sucker.  I can only imagine out on the salt flats the wind can get pretty serious.

My plan is to install a camper awning on the side of my enclosed trailer.  Still has a chance of getting mangled if the wind is too strong but at least it will be solidly anchored to the trailer.  Probably will bring an extra tarp that I can hang from the side to block sun when it gets low also.  I am one of those northerners who doesn't get that much sun so yeah, been paying extra attention to the stories of sun exposure from above and below.

Really appreciating all the useful feedback from you guys!

Offline DRW

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 03:02:24 PM »
Oh,SSS, So Correct,  We Never ever leave the Tarp top of the EZ up on ,,And always, Push it down low..
When Bad weather comes to Bonneville, Its BAD Weather
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
Oh,SSS, So Correct,  We Never ever leave the Tarp top of the EZ up on ,,And always, Push it down low..
When Bad weather comes to Bonneville, Its BAD Weather

Yea, the mistake most make is leave the top on the EZ up and go get in line.... they are a couple of miles away when the wind hits... they get back in time to go looking for their stuff
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline comet

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 03:29:41 AM »
Nice safety tips gents. All very important to know about when its your first time, or second or third too.
I learned all about salt depletion back in 2008. All day I was drinking water. Constantly. I drank bottles of the stuff. On the Thursday night at the banquet I started to feel not so great. I ended up leaving early and went back to my room. For the following 4 days I was so ill. Dawn had to drive the car as I couldn't. Ever since that year we stop at a Walmart and buy a shed load of gatorades or similar and we drink plenty of that and plenty of water. You have to keep the fluids up, but you have to replace the eloctrolytes too.
DRC when you get ready in the morning, slap on the SPF, then get dressed. It is the best way of making sure you don't miss a spot. Dammit, your ears can get really sore if you burn them and so can under your nose.
Most of the starting points will have easy ups ( and water  for riders) that you can get under. But if you can bring along an umbrella you might find it gives you some much needed shade when you are waiting in line at tech inspection, pre staging, or if the starting points are really busy.
DRW is right, we have zip ties and clippers. so we'll make sure you are all zipped up and safe to run. We will try and make sure you are having fun too though.  :-D
See you out there in August.

( there is a Smiths grocery store in town, you can buy provisions there but it is not big so choice is limited. Make sure you bring suitable SPF cream with you.)