Author Topic: Is BMST with no crew doable?  (Read 7013 times)

Offline drc42

Is BMST with no crew doable?
« on: May 13, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »
I have been talking about it for years and finally decided to make the trip out to the salt this August!  Being a newbie my plan is to keep it simple, most likely in the P-P 250cc class, or might possibly do some fiberglass work and do a simple MPS bike but still keep the engine/drivetrain mostly stock to keep it simple and reliable.  My goal for the first time out is to learn and have fun hanging out with like minded gear heads  :-D

I thought about the "run whatcha brung" but really want to get more of the full experience.

The one big question I have is about showing up alone with no crew.  Are there any rules regarding riding the bike to/from the race course from the pits?  Looking through the rules I don't see anything, but I thought I remember seeing something about that in the past (perhaps it is a rule for cars I am thinking of?).

I am certainly willing to help out with others in exchange for a hand when I need one (I figure that is half the fun) but wouldn't want to have to rely on that.

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: Is BMST with no crew doable?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:58:03 PM »
My children and wife have come with me and help me to work on the bike.  As for the runs, I do those alone.  The bike is ridden from the pits to the start line, run down the mile, and ridden back to the pits.  No crew should not be a problem. Make sure you have an attached sidestand so you can park the thing.

Offline comet

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 02:43:22 AM »
It is doable DRC42
Hard work maybe, but doable. I am aware of at least one other rider that works as rider, crew chief, mechanic, cook, and pit crew. Always with a smiley face too.
As WW says, make sure you have a sidestand with you, and make sure you always have enough gas to do a loop ride of several miles. Enough to get from the pits down to Pre stage, up to your mile marker, up the course and back to the pits. I am sure someone there will be happy for you to pit beside them and offer advice and support as and when needed.
Good luck and see you in August. Don't forget to get a room booked asap though, They sell out early.

Cheers
John

Offline drc42

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 08:04:36 AM »
Thanks guys, looking forward to it!  Will be a new experience for me.  I did a couple events in Baja in the past (Mexican 1000 and Baja Rally, both "dakar style" rally races) as well as the Vegas to Reno race (didn't finish but was still quite the experience) so this will be a good new adventure.

Offline comet

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
Good luck with your prep. Hopefully it'll be a much smoother course than the Baja  :-D
See you at Mountain Mile 1.

Cheers

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:52:16 PM »
Yup, the community is very supportive and you will find people pitching in to help you on a regular basis.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:26 AM »
There are people that ride in, race their bikes and generally get to ride them home... asking your bike to run at maximum performance can occasionally lead to seeing what the inside of a motor looks like without disassembly  :-o
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
There are people that ride in, race their bikes and generally get to ride them home... asking your bike to run at maximum performance can occasionally lead to seeing what the inside of a motor looks like without disassembly  :-o
 :cheers:

Now, how would you know that, Stainless?

John

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 07:22:32 PM »
The past 3 times at BMST I had 6 or more crew-spectators with me. One or more have often helped other riders. No promises from me for this year but you should not be afraid to ask.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline DRW

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:06:00 PM »
Drc,  Comet & Doc are 100% right, U can so do it on your own, In fact you will be surprised how easy help is,
Usually If im unloading and getting the ramp ready, And My Crew Man is up front, Almost always the first couple of
guys that walk by ask,You need a hand unloading, And if that doesnt happen, No matter what, Any pit you go to,
 If you ask for a hand expect five people helping you!
And then when your run comes, If you have no pit man to fasten your kickstand up with a zip tie, Comet , Who is one of the
 Main Starters not only will help you, But I think he carries small cutters or dykes to cut the end off your zip tie, DRC,
U better get ready to run with one Big Ol Family of Nice People, Cuz all of them will blow you away as far as making you feel welcome.
Plz, Make the effort, Youll  be happy you did , I Promise, DW 
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline drc42

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 09:53:59 PM »
You guys are getting me even more excited for the trip out to the salt!  Looking forward to meeting you all!

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 12:49:15 AM »
One thing I'll suggest is taking some time to plan out your pit setup. Spending days on the salt is one of the most awesome experiences one can have, but it's also quite hard on you. My list of absolute must haves includes an ez up canopy that you can strip the cover off of at night so it doesn't blow away (pitched over a suitably sized plastic tarp), stakes and a one pound hammer to hold it all down, lots of 100spf sunscreen, gobs of water and electrolytes (I got brutal leg cramps at night before it was explained to me that I was short on electrolytes from sweating out so much water), a floppy brimmed hat, WRAPAROUND DARK sunglasses (two on our crew were miserable after a few days with open sided dark glasses). I'm big on light colored clothes too - white t shirts, khaki shorts. Light colored leathers are perhaps not stylish but they do help keep you tiny bit cooler than black leathers. An old leather belt is a neat way to allow you to strip off the top half of one piece leathers and still keep the bottom half held up. Waiting for your turn at the start line can get really, really hot in the afternoon.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 10:43:17 AM »
You might consider an electric screwdriver and screws instead of the one pound hammer... sometimes the salt is hard and most hammers take multiple pounds.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Doc B.

• Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »
Or multiple hammers

https://youtu.be/n-2YN_Ak9eE

Offline Chris V

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »
Looks like maybe 50 or so more stakes will do the job