Author Topic: VP fuel replacing ERC at Bonneville?  (Read 9076 times)

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
VP fuel replacing ERC at Bonneville?
« on: May 09, 2019, 12:15:52 AM »
Is ERC being replaced at Speedweek 2019?
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline sabat

Re: VP fuel replacing ERC at Bonneville?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »
That would cause a bunch of distress, VP offers some highly oxygenated gasolines that could affect gas class records. It would also be convenient for those far away from ERC suppliers, while VP is everywhere.

What makes you think ERC is leaving? Not doubting, just curious.

Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 11:04:45 AM »
I'd guess that the questionable fuels would not pass the gas check in Gas classes.  If they were being offered there, they could be used in Fuel.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 07:17:16 PM »
I would welcome VP. Or not have event fuel since gas testing is fairly simple ,like at El Mirage
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »
ERC also has oxygenated fuel but if it doesn't meet spec it can't be run. Most likely a moot point since it does look like VP is the new supplier for the SCTA.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »
   Wondering if the new supplier will also have racing oil available like the ERC vendor did.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:18:57 PM »
Highly oxygenated and non-oxygenated gasolines were compared on the dyno for several years.  We spent a lot of time to select the optimum spark advance settings and jetting for each mixture.  The oxygenated fuels provided no benefits.  Is there a reason for this?   

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:43:09 AM »
I got a call from ERC today and Rick said that he thought that SCTA was going to make a Supplier change.  He did not volunteer what that change might be and I didn't ask.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline JR529

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 12:01:29 PM »
I would welcome VP. Or not have event fuel since gas testing is fairly simple ,like at El Mirage

It may be fairly simple to test fuel at El Mirage but buying fuel at El Mirage is almost impossible. That's why an event fuel supplier is so important, it guarantees race fuel availability on the salt.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 08:31:31 PM »
Highly oxygenated and non-oxygenated gasolines were compared on the dyno for several years.  We spent a lot of time to select the optimum spark advance settings and jetting for each mixture.  The oxygenated fuels provided no benefits.  Is there a reason for this?   

Well, I really don't know why you have seen that.  But, this is what I really do know. 
I often use my Nitrous Hayabusa for fuel test.  It has a relatively low static compression, but has a LOT of engine modifications.  I've tested the following VP fuels C12, C16, Q16, MRX02, MR12 over a couple days along with 89 octane pump (8% ethanol) and pump E85 (80% ethanol), PLUS Ignite Race Fuel 114 (90%) ethanol.  For reference, the bike makes ~185 wHP on 89 Pump.
The non-oxygenated fuels produce less power while MR12 will pickup almost 10 wHP over pump with MRX02 in a close second.   Ignite Race Fuel is also very close with a timing bump.  Fueling has to be adjusted as much as +10% with oxygenated gasolines and while I did adjust timing, it really didn't make a HUGE difference except with Ignite.  And of course the ethanol based fuels require about 30% more fuel.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2019, 01:35:08 AM »
Right now I am in Visalia, California and my fuel comparison notes are back in Oregon.  So, I cannot give details.  All comparisons were between leaded and non-leaded oxygenated and non-oxygenated race gasolines.  Octane, specific gravity, and distillation characteristics were chosen so all fuels would match the engine.  Pump gas and E-85 were not tested.

Maybe what I saw was that a variety of gasolines will give good results?

Offline RansomT

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »
It could be that your octane requirements are high.  My other race bike, a 1340 Busa, has a static compression of ~17:1 and wont' run on a lot of the highly oxygenated race fuels that make the most power.  Q16 is about it and that VP fuel only makes a handful of HP over C12.  I can run that bike on Ignite (E90) but that puts the bike in the Fuel classes in direct competition with my Nitrous bike....

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 10:18:46 AM »
I don't recall what designation ERC gives their high octane gasoline that they've brought to Bonneville in the past, but I do remember that the closest equivalent in VP was the C-14, which is what we use to dyno with.  ERC is tough to come by in the east.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 11:00:55 AM »
Well as we all know... your results may vary  :-o
You can use gas with a too high octane rating and get less power...  Consulting with ERC Rick, he suggested 110K for my 1K GSXR motor... and we did well with that... but then he brought MUL-A and  later MUL-B 100 octane oxygenated legal racing gas and suggested we try that based on our engine specs.  Bike went faster and I started using it in that normally aspirated motor in the car and bike, did not get the opportunity to make a dyno comparison since ERC fuel is not readily available in Kansas.
Rick was a valuable asset for racers....  I hate to see him go...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!