(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

This is a public forum. The opinions expressed here don't
necessarily reflect the feelings of The Folks That Run The Site (that's us)
unless we explicitly say so, ok?

Forum's been "upgraded".
Things will look a bit different.
A *few* posts might have gotten lost in the crossover.
PM bobc with problems, or post in "Website Suggestions".

Author Topic: Just a reminder...  (Read 1185 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Just a reminder...
« on: May 07, 2019, 09:03:30 AM »
Yes, I know better..But baggy sweatshirts and a running lathe are a bad combination.  Got some bruises, a little missing skin and a rather stylish friction burn where the spinning metal rubbed along my  arm while I reached for the power switch.  Happened REALLY fast.   End of lecture. :oops:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Just a reminder...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »
Ouch, I do sympathise and it sounds like you got lucky.

I made the mistake of using a wire brush attachment on an angle grinder with engineers gloves instead of leather gauntlets.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
Watch the long tailings as well... they can leave a mark if they catch on the chuck and start whipping
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
And never wear gloves while operating around larger rotating machinery such as a drill press, lathe or mill. I don't have a picture but I have seen the results. I always cringe when I see someone holding a piece of material with a gloved hand while operating a drill press. Things happen really quickly.

As an aside I get a haircut every three or so years. I usually happens after I'm working on the lathe and I start imagining what might happen if my ponytail gets caught up in the turning. That would be a really uncomfortable way to get scalped.  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 12:17:23 PM »
I`m just happy I was running my lowly 13X60 Southbend and not the 16X84 Monarch with it`s 7 h.p. motor...You guy`s would start calling me " Lefty"..And we don`t want that. :roll:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
And never wear gloves while operating around larger rotating machinery such as a drill press, lathe or mill. I don't have a picture but I have seen the results. I always cringe when I see someone holding a piece of material with a gloved hand while operating a drill press. Things happen really quickly.

As an aside I get a haircut every three or so years. I usually happens after I'm working on the lathe and I start imagining what might happen if my ponytail gets caught up in the turning. That would be a really uncomfortable way to get scalped.  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete

Peter: 
I learned this lesson the hard way at 2:00 am in Matt Scranton's shop. I was getting ready to tack something and realized I had not drilled the needed hole. Rushed over to the drill press with my tig gloves still on...you know the rest. I remember slapping the red stop button with my left hand-glove wound around the chuck.. I had to take the cover off the belts and turn the pulley backwards with my right hand to untwist my glove and hand. Very lucky I did not loose my thumb. The bad part is I knew better from working around mills and lathes. I just got in a hurry and failed to think of removing my gloves. Makes you really made when you forget to remember something that important.

BR   
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »
Yes, I know better..But baggy sweatshirts and a running lathe are a bad combination.  Got some bruises, a little missing skin and a rather stylish friction burn where the spinning metal rubbed along my  arm while I reached for the power switch.  Happened REALLY fast.   End of lecture. :oops:

Baggy sweatshirts are also not a good idea when rappelling; getting it jammed up in your carabiner means you're stuck- can't go down & can't go up.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »
I'll add my true confessions about scars and close calls. In a younger time, I found out you DO NOT use acetylene to cut the top off an empty 55 gallon antifreeze drum. Rode that drum, astraddle, clear across the parking lot, spewing a very long-bright blue flame, at scary acceleration.
Been there, seen that!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 12:13:56 AM »
Thanks for the reminders.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru (or does guru status expire after 30 years?)