Author Topic: Just a reminder...  (Read 10555 times)

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
Just a reminder...
« on: May 07, 2019, 10:03:30 AM »
Yes, I know better..But baggy sweatshirts and a running lathe are a bad combination.  Got some bruises, a little missing skin and a rather stylish friction burn where the spinning metal rubbed along my  arm while I reached for the power switch.  Happened REALLY fast.   End of lecture. :oops:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Lemming Motors

Re: Just a reminder...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 10:22:07 AM »
Ouch, I do sympathise and it sounds like you got lucky.

I made the mistake of using a wire brush attachment on an angle grinder with engineers gloves instead of leather gauntlets.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
Watch the long tailings as well... they can leave a mark if they catch on the chuck and start whipping
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 12:52:56 PM »
And never wear gloves while operating around larger rotating machinery such as a drill press, lathe or mill. I don't have a picture but I have seen the results. I always cringe when I see someone holding a piece of material with a gloved hand while operating a drill press. Things happen really quickly.

As an aside I get a haircut every three or so years. I usually happens after I'm working on the lathe and I start imagining what might happen if my ponytail gets caught up in the turning. That would be a really uncomfortable way to get scalped.  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete

Offline floydjer

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »
I`m just happy I was running my lowly 13X60 Southbend and not the 16X84 Monarch with it`s 7 h.p. motor...You guy`s would start calling me " Lefty"..And we don`t want that. :roll:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 03:13:37 PM »
And never wear gloves while operating around larger rotating machinery such as a drill press, lathe or mill. I don't have a picture but I have seen the results. I always cringe when I see someone holding a piece of material with a gloved hand while operating a drill press. Things happen really quickly.

As an aside I get a haircut every three or so years. I usually happens after I'm working on the lathe and I start imagining what might happen if my ponytail gets caught up in the turning. That would be a really uncomfortable way to get scalped.  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete

Peter: 
I learned this lesson the hard way at 2:00 am in Matt Scranton's shop. I was getting ready to tack something and realized I had not drilled the needed hole. Rushed over to the drill press with my tig gloves still on...you know the rest. I remember slapping the red stop button with my left hand-glove wound around the chuck.. I had to take the cover off the belts and turn the pulley backwards with my right hand to untwist my glove and hand. Very lucky I did not loose my thumb. The bad part is I knew better from working around mills and lathes. I just got in a hurry and failed to think of removing my gloves. Makes you really made when you forget to remember something that important.

BR   
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 04:23:07 PM »
Yes, I know better..But baggy sweatshirts and a running lathe are a bad combination.  Got some bruises, a little missing skin and a rather stylish friction burn where the spinning metal rubbed along my  arm while I reached for the power switch.  Happened REALLY fast.   End of lecture. :oops:

Baggy sweatshirts are also not a good idea when rappelling; getting it jammed up in your carabiner means you're stuck- can't go down & can't go up.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »
I'll add my true confessions about scars and close calls. In a younger time, I found out you DO NOT use acetylene to cut the top off an empty 55 gallon antifreeze drum. Rode that drum, astraddle, clear across the parking lot, spewing a very long-bright blue flame, at scary acceleration.
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 01:13:56 AM »
Thanks for the reminders.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline floydjer

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
Wow! Over a year since I did something stupid in the shop! :cheers:

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 07:41:10 PM »
And it was a great reminder for all of us Jerry!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 11:26:30 PM »
OK then, you're out of the penalty box... you can now go back into the shop....   lol8
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tallguy

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2024, 02:55:25 AM »
What was said about gloves also applies to long sleeves, long hair, and neckties (in my opinion).  As Richard Noble once said
to me, "Safety Fast".

Offline tallguy

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 03:35:07 AM »
About wire wheels . . .

Some die grinders (typically having a collet that will accept a 1/4" dia arbor) can spin at about 20,000 rpm, which is not
recommended when a wire wheel is mounted in that die grinder.  And those little wires, when they fly off, can easily embed
themselves into an operator's forehead.  I was, of course, wearing eye protection when this happened to me.  Total facial protection would have been better.

I share this information so someone else can learn the easy way, instead of the hard way -- like I did.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 02:56:20 PM »
In high school auto shop a buddy just about denutted himself with a 1/2 inch drill and some baggy coveralls